Thread: Rule #1 state land hunting

Rule #1 state land hunting

When you are 10 minutes early to your state land spot go ahead and park in the spot to wait on your buddy to arrive. This morning I decided to slowly drive down the road and turn around. Three minutes before 3:45 (meeting time) someone else pulled into our spot. I'm an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad the rain let up for a bit. Too bad the fog is so thick I cant see more than 10yds. No birds talking this morning yet. They were here 2 weekends ago but I have a strong feeling he got smoked during youth season.

Hope ur plan b spot is productive. Surprised to hear of that level of competition with this weather. Out one state now and heard one guy pull in and turn around a half hr ago. at least he didn't try to sneak in.

He just shot twice. I'm sick

On the upside, either the person limited out or they are not so good a shot. I'll try and be happy for him.
    I'm heading out tomorrow morning, hoping there are some toms left.

First solo season

Long time reader. First time poster. I too was a camo covered wet dish towel when I came out of the woods today. Haha. This year is the first year I scouted, set up, and called on my own. Went out about 5 times last year with no luck. No luck yet this year but hoping for a dryer sit tomorrow morning. Spooked a hen on my second walk in this morning. Saw 3 toms on private land adjacent to the public land I was hunting this morning. Drive out about 2 hours later and they were in the same spot hunkered down appearing to be just as miserably wet as I was.

Thank you to to all that share their words of wisdom on this thread. It has been very helpful for a young turkey hunter such as myself. Good luck this season to all.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post
    When you are 10 minutes early to your state land spot go ahead and park in the spot to wait on your buddy to arrive. This morning I decided to slowly drive down the road and turn around. Three minutes before 3:45 (meeting time) someone else pulled into our spot. I'm an idiot.

Two hours before first light and still lose the spot. That's crazy.

I slept in. Not a 'fan' of hunting in the rain.

Welcome aboard UNH... good luck to you.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I didn't go this morning , not a fan of hunting in fog and rain. My bud went , worked 3 jakes. They
    stayed just out of range. I'm going to give it a go in the a.m.

Wow almost 2 hours, before light, and had no parking, now that's crazy, must be a popular spot. Wanted to go this morning, but forgot I had scheduled a Dr. Appointment for today. My wife made sure last night I would not miss my appointment.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

After about an hour and a half of "testing my raingear" out on state, a jake sounded off to some crows. He was back on the adjacent field edge hidden by fog, within 100yds. I sent a few yelps his way but no answer so I picked up the volume to cut thru the wind and rain and he answers. He slowly makes his way along the edge and materializes about 85yds out on the high spot. Watched him gobble a bit and start heading my way. A tom gobbled not far from where the jake was and I was hoping the jake would come in and bring any other birds with him but he hung up. They all headed out to the middle from what I could hear of them. Repositioned twice but they just weren't hot enough to play, with the weather the way it was. Went from thinking it would be a silent morning to seeing some birds and didn't get trampled by other hunters so all in all a decent opening day. Tomorrow's weather is looking a lot better so birds should be a little more vocal then.

Opening Day 2017 - Northwest Connecticut

I have hunted this land for deer and turkey for years. Last year I got two turkeys on my second day out. I saw turkeys in this area last deer season and in March and April.

I got out of my truck about 5:15. It was cool and raining lightly as it would be until I left. The morning started well. As soon as I got of my truck I heard a few gobbles to my south. But that was it. I was set up by around 5:45. It was misty and quiet. Outside of some geese and crows, nothing was moving, not even small birds and squirrels. Nothing responded to my calls. Unfortunately it remained that way until 9:00 when I had to leave for an appointment. On the way out I thought I caught a glimpse of a black head over the crest of the field I was hunting. It could have been a turkey or it just as well could have been a goose or my overactive imagination.

I could not go out today but with any luck I will be out tomorrow.