Thread: Bow Mounted Trickery

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

Bow Mounted Trickery

Been seeing some of the "Reaping" videos on youtube and reading about Heads Up Decoys and UP decoys. Bow mounted trickery and it looks like a blast.

After some thinking, I figured I had all the makings of such a devise, so for the last couple days, I've been putting one together.

I had a featherflex jake and a tail fan from an old shotgunned bird. I pulled all the tail feathers and mounted them to a piece of cardboard with straw pieces.
    I then folded the tail of the decoy inside itself as far as I could and cut a piece of 1/4" plywood cut to fit, to hold it open. Stapled the decoy to it and made a bracket to hold it on the bow. Added the tail. It makes a decent 3D, bow mounted deke. A little bit of weight I have to get used to for shooting, but it's not bad.
    Could probably use a little red paint around the head area.
    Together with my home made ghillie, I hope to get a bird...any bird...this spring.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Very nice. That should be a lot of fun.

I would be afraid to use that up here; even on private land.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Im sure you could get that to work, even just to get within 100yds of a stubborn field bird. I've seen guys on tv do it with just a fan so sure your home made deke will pull them in just fine.

Not a fan of reaping but it definitely takes more skill to do it with a bow. If you look up heartland bowhunters videos they bow reap and hunt field birds out of layout blinds. Crazy stuff.

Very nicely done! That should work like a charm if you get a mature Tom to see it. CT Rider and myself crawled up to two Toms 2 years ago. I was holding my gobbler decoy up while we crawled and he was crawling beside me (We were actually more walking on our knees than crawling). Anyways, the two Toms were so mad, they didn't even notice/care that Matt was crawling beside me in a wide open field. They were locked onto that Gobbler decoy and came right in. Matt took a shot with a bullhead and his dads old early 1980's Bear White Tail hunter bow. The bullhead struck the gobbler in the chest and they both gobbled and took off. We kept going a little further towards them and they turned and came back. This time he sent an arrow by ones head and almost hit him. Disclaimer: Matt (CT Rider) now has a New Bear bow and is dead nuts on with it! Boy what a memorable hunt! The birds were really talking this morning!!!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I'm getting excited. I was concerned that the deke would be too high on my bow from a turkey's perspective. It would be like a tough guy approaching a really tall tough guy. I don't know if they see stuff like that and say, "****, he's too big, I'm outta here". lol. It should be fun though. I don't usually try for jakes, but I'm sending an arrow at first bird within range.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.