Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk Turk

Let's talk Turk

Ok guys it's almost here!! Who's getting ready? Did u shoot ur sg or bow? My goal is to try and get my daughter her first bird. I bought her a mossberg super bantam 20 gauge, put a sling, coil reducing pad, primos tight wad choke, and truglo gobble stopper scope on it. Youth season starts the sat before Easter and she has pl permission in 3 areas that hold birds so I'm hoping she at least gets a chance. She has been with me before and seen them in action. We will be hunting in a blind to limit movement. 2 of the spots have fields, the other just woods. Any one else bringing a youth this season?

Images
    Nothing better then getting out with your son and daughter more exciting then getting a bird your self good luck hope she shoots a big ole long beard.
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Pretty likely I will get out at least once. But probably twice. I think I am just going to sit in one of my tree stands. Its where we see lots of turkeys.
    I have another 20 acre parcel that I can only archery hunt on but I only seem to see hens there.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    If you see the hens, the toms will be near.
    I'll hunting mostly private. I'm in the process of making a deke to mount on my bow for some up close action. "Reaping" videos on youtube make it look exciting.
    I'm sure I'll also do a few hunts with my SxS.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Have yal seen the new red head instigator? So funny. It's mounted on an RC car.

http://m.basspro.com/RedHead-Reality...ct/1603301023/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've taken both sons and 3 grandsons out over the years and all have shot birds out of a blind with decoys. Youth season is great for kids, with virtually no pressure. It's really the best way for impatient, fidgety kids to last for more than an hour. A couple actually fell asleep and curled up in the corner of the blind when the tom showed up, 4am wakeups take a toll on everyone. Snacks and Ipods got them throught that 7-9am lull. Fields work well as they can view all the wildlife and held their attention. One particular bird we were after was roosting on the treeline of a long narrow field. To get close enough to set up in the predawn darkness, I opened the pop up blind, we both climbed inside and walked it 150 yards to within 100 yards of the roosted bird, setting a decoy out along the way. It was like we were in Harry Potter's invisible cloak. My grandson shot the 19 pd 2 year old right after flydown as he strutted into the decoy. Good luck and take pictures to relive the hunt for years.

Images
    I took a ride to one of my spots unreal the number of birds I seen one tom has a beard so long he steps on it when walking he is a big boy .
    I seen 6 toms in total plus a pile of jakes ,time to get the crossbow out and start shooting it wont be long ...
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Same here Andy. I've noticed way more birds, both last year and this year, than in years past. Birds were everywhere last year and with any hope its looking to be as good if not better than last spring. Scouting trips on both Saturday and Sunday proved useful with multiple birds located on a public piece. This morning we watched 4 strutters show off for a group of 6 hens while a few jakes looked on. Hens seemed disinterested.

Looking forward to this spring and will try and be out scouting every decent weather morning until the season. Hearing those first gobbles of spring has got me fired up.

Got out for a quick scout this morning with Bishop and heard a bunch on the roost. Driving around we saw several in people's yards which we could resist making a few calls to get them gobbling. Gosh I love that sound! Got me fired up

Watched 4 toms, 5 jakes and 13 hens today while out coyote hunting. No coyotes though...just turkeys. They were gobbling early and 360 from where I sat. Tomorrow morning on a youth hunt with Treat and his boy. Called 4 toms into this field the other morning while coyote hunting/turkey scouting. Should be interesting...I'll have a rifle with me just in case.