Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodchuck hunting?

Button Buck

Woodchuck hunting?

Anyone out doing any woodchuck hunting?

This is my first year out and since Woodchuck is the only small game in season until later this year, I'm planning on hunting Woodchuck. Will be on public land, and plan to get out and scout some locations over the next month.

Any tips/stories would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Find fields and lots of edges. Find the burrows and wait. I saw one today in a cornfield, saw one in 'burbs of Willimantic a couple days ago and one dead on rt 32 in New London. They're out of hibernation.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by Supes3 View Post
    Anyone out doing any woodchuck hunting?

This is my first year out and since Woodchuck is the only small game in season until later this year, I'm planning on hunting Woodchuck. Will be on public land, and plan to get out and scout some locations over the next month.

Any tips/stories would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Coyote is open all year.

12 Point
    ...and so are any non-grey squirrels, chipmunks, and porcupines.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alukban View Post
    ...and so are any non-grey squirrels
    RED squirrels only. Flyers are protected in CT (i.e. no hunting season). Even as a nuisance animal, we have to get a yearly permit from DEEP for flyers.

12 Point
    Thanks for the clarification - completely forgot there are flying squirrels in CT

Just out of curiosity why do you specifically target woodchuck? what do you do with them? I take a few out each year. They tare up the vegetable garden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images
    Bonehead, they're mostly just a nuisance for farmers, and a challenge to hunt. I don't hunt them much, but trap quite a few for residential clients.
    They are certainly edible. Make sure the glands are removed (under armpit). Boil, drain, boil again, drain, then add to recipe in place of chicken, etc.
    I've only had it once, but it was good in a rice dish (except for the mushrooms which I tossed).

Button Buck
    I want to hunt coyotes but am just learning to hunt so I'm hoping to learn with woodchucks and squirrels. The 2017 guide doesn't say anything about red squirrels, chipmunks or porcupines. Where can I find that info written ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the info. We had a woodchuck around last year. He was big. Neighbor told me the fox took over the woodchuck den so maybe they're gone for awhile. Anyway.. if woodchuck is around and causes my landscaping and garden too much trouble I''ll be using the info here.