Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Springfield Sportsmen's Show Feb 24th - 26th

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Hunter View Post
    It is in a death spiral. Every year there are fewer attendees and fewer vendors. Every year gets worse. At some point it will fail. Too bad. In the past I booked a few hunts and used always buy junk (seating pads, turkey calls, clothing, etc.) from vendors who no longer run booths. Next year or the year after I plan to check out Harrisburg.

That is what is happening to Hartford. It is a shadow of its former self. Three or four short aisles of booths with a high admission charge and expensive parking. This year they are scheduling it a month later. I doubt that it will make any difference.
    I went to the show in Harrisburg 2 years ago, as well as the Cabelas there to check out the whitetail/mule deer museum. Was a great trip, we'll worth it.
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

The problem is that hunting and fishing in general is in a "death spiral". Each year fewer people hunt and fish, so it is not surprising that each year fewer and fewer people go to Hunting and Fishing Shows. I'm worried that I will outlive my sports.

I like the show. I don't do much this time of the year so its something for me to do. The Hartford show is a joke, but people are still going.
    I don't expect to actually buy anything. But it would be nice to get hooked up with a snow goose hunting outfit in Maryland, NY or wherever.

Edit: Gooseman made good on his call that had a broken reed. He seemed completely unaware that I tried to contact him and immediately replaced the call with a new one. He even gave me his personal phone number should something like that happen again. That speaks loudly to me, he could've told me to F off.

Last edited by Mountain man; 02-25-2017 at 07:59 AM.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    I couldn't tell you the last time I bought anything at the show but it's usually fun to putz around.

I am going to go tomorrow. Anyone else going?

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Wife and I went yesterday. It was worth it to me. We got connected with a few bear hunting outfitters up in Maine. There was a few that "did it all", bear, deer, geese, etc. I wanted a guide that only hunts bears.
    We are doing a hog hunt down in Florida in the end of May, but we are definitely going to look into a guided bear hunt in Maine.

Images
    I was there yesterday, it was not as bad as I expected. Good to see the pickle guy. I like the way they set up the NEBBC mounts in the other building, some real amazing bucks there, my favorite part of the show.

12 Point Asteroids Champion, Missile Crisis Champion, Yeti Sports 1- Bloody Pingu Champion, From Start To Finish Champion, Archery 2000 Champion, Crack Shot Champion Big Country's Avatar
    Images
    LOL....I got some pickles too Adam...Love that booth...hung out there for a while.....The rest of the show was good. Thinking about a trip somewhere so talked with a few guides that were there....seems to be getting smaller and smaller each year...more and more window & remodeling guys, solar companies and junk infomercial crap....wish they would go with more huntin, fishin and outdoorsy stuff.....but i guess. they have to pay the bills too..

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    It was a good show.
    Met up with my friend Corey from little Lost Outfitters (Idaho) I have hunted with him before when I go out west. I took a very nice Archery Bull elk when him and I were camping out and also shot a nice Mule deer buck a prior year. (always on horseback)
    I decided to go MT Lion hunting with him next.

Wasn't looking for anything else, I went Wild Boar hunting in TENN at Xmas-time and I have taken large bear in Maine when staying at my parent's house in the North entrance of Baxter State Park.
    It was just a nice day hanging with my kids. bought some beef jerky and a new diaphragm turkey call.