Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 8pt Buck Mount

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Mountain, it means Dive didn't mount it at the time, he just cut the skull plate w/antlers off, or made a euro mount. With the original hide gone, Chris simply found another to fit. So, the antlers are Dive's, the hide is not. Lots of mounts are done that way, some are by intention, others the hide gets ruined for some reason and is replaced. The only time it makes a difference is when the original has special charactoristics, like a ripped ear or other scars, or maybe a piebald skin that can't be replaced. No one will know.

When I was in NFD, there was a moose mount that was made from 3 different animals. Antlers from one, head hide from another and shoulder skin from a third. Once I was told, it was obvious.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
    I don't really know that much about taxidermy, so you'll have to forgive my ignorance. What do you mean he provided you a cape? Does that mean the whole mount isn't real? I do understand that none of the innards of a deer head mount aren't real, but the fur and antlers are still real.
    I just sent my first buck in to get mounted. And when I had the butcher cut the deer up he asked if I wanted it caped out to get mounted. Obviously I said yes that.
    This illustrates the process better than an explanation from me..
    https://youtu.be/NuaCtZEckdk
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

Dam that was a long video but I watched it,,, what an art taxidermy is...lots of work.

Cool, thanks for the education.

Nice mount. Friend of mine shot a nice buck in 2015. He skinned the deer and cut the cape to short. I gave him the cape from a buck I shot. Unless the buck has unusual markings it's the bone that makes the mount.

Images
    Another nice mount! I like the pose, I've been thinking of getting one done like that. I've been trying to get all my mounts done the way they were positioned when I shot them. I'll have to shoot one sneaking through some thickets next time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyadam View Post
    Another nice mount! I like the pose, I've been thinking of getting one done like that. I've been trying to get all my mounts done the way they were positioned when I shot them. I'll have to shoot one sneaking through some thickets next time.
    Thanks. It's funny you mention mounting them how you shot them. I did the same thing with this one, so I had him done in a full sneak. I'm very happy with how it came out.
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

Nice mount, nice buck and love the sneak pose best of all the mounts.