Thread: Scouting help

Button Buck

Scouting help

Didn't really see a forum specific to scouting so I figure since this is the season for predator hunting I'll just put it here. So being completely new for the most part on hunting I have questions about scouting. So when scouting, is it necessary to go with in with all scent blocking type clothing, or since I'm not really going to be in an area too long, would just normal clothes work?

I am going to try and go walk the property where I plan on doing some predator and deer hunting this year to see what is out there. I didn't see much in the fall in terms of deer, but I did see 3-4 turkey and 2-3 coyote pics on the trail cam.

The land is 99 acres in size, with prob about the bottom 1/3 being swampy. As you move away from the house that sits on the road and move back into the woods the terrain gains elevation. It's a very thick woods down near the the swamp side, and there is a lot of thick shrub.. It has some areas where it's not quite as thick. But overall it is pretty vegetated. I know where are a good amount of oak trees, but I really need to look up what else is really there.

If anyone ever wants to just take a walk through sometime in the spring when there are leaves on the trees, let me know. Maybe give me pointers on what areas would be best to keep an eye on.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Ticks are a big issue for me. I treat my clothing with permethrin to kill ticks. I started doing this years ago and haven't been bitten since.

The best scouting is done before green up. Before green up you can see much farther and the deer sign for the past season stands out. Once green up occurs it is much harder.

With fresh snow on the ground I like to wait a day or two to give the deer some time to put down tracks. Then you can follow the tracks to see where they are feeding and bedding. Some of the spots they will use in the fall some they won't. Either way you will learn more about the deer.

You can also carry a shotgun and do some small game hunting as well if you are interested.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Like bob said, i like to do majority of my scouting in the winter. I usually go out looking for squirrels and other small game and scout at the same time. Animals will more often than not see/ smell/ or hear you coming so you may not ever see them,but they cant hide there tracks in the snow. I usually follow tracks and that helps to learn alot of there patterns . i dont scout much in the summer as you cant usually see more than a few feet in any direction. The only time im worried about my scent really is just before and during the season. If you know which direction they travel to bed or to feed, and you play the wind, then scent isnt too big of an issue. But yeah, youll learn more scouting now than in the spring. Good luck.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Bring some survey tape with you. If you find a good trail, mark a tree for a stand. Go back in late summer to trim as needed.
    1/3 of the property is swamp? Walk the entire boundary and see where they are going on/off the property and in/out of swamp. That will most likely be their safe haven.
    This snow should really help. It should last a week or more with the temps that are coming. Give them a couple days like HH said and get out there. Keep eyes open for sheds too, maybe you will get a clue to what made it through the season.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Winter / Trail Cam / maybe a GPS. I used to scout in winter to see what's moving where. Early fall put that trail cam back up and see if game is still moving through there. I prefer to find a ridge to sit on where I can look down into a valley but I have friends that have done very well from climbing tree stands. Gets you off the ground. And yeah watch those ticks if you are out spring to fall. I don't even go in the woods once the weather gets warmer. At that point I start fishing. I hate ticks.

I don't do any scent control at all for scouting. You cant hide your smell from the deer, I don't care what anyone says. For hunting you can reduce it and in my opinion, that might, just might help you allude a deer's nose if you aren't directly up wind.
    When I shot my buck this year, I had no scent control on, and I was actually a little sweaty. I was down wind from him and that fortified it in my mind to hunt the wind at all times.
    Two days before that I had the wind in my favor but then it changed. I figured no big deal but sure enough a doe came in to my right. I wasn't moving a muscle but I was up wind from it and as soon as it came down wind from me she noticed me immediately. I had treated my clothing with scent control, had scent free deodorant and showered with scent free soap. She still picked me off easy.
    But back to scouting, I don't do any scent control. Once your gone they are going to come back anyways. You just want to see if they have been there. I did a lot of scouting already when the snow was down, but I will definitely be scouting again in July and August.
    All I do is walk the land. I will do a grid type of pattern. Taking note of the water sources is key, I see less sign the farther from the water source I get.