Thread: Hudson Valley Man Charged for 'Humanely' Killing Deer Hit By Car

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images

Hudson Valley Man Charged for 'Humanely' Killing Deer Hit By Car

Hudson Valley Man Charged for ‘Humanely’ Killing Deer Hit By Car

By Bobby Welber January 19, 2017 11:17 AM

Tom Tietz/getty images

A Hudson Valley man was charged for allegedly fatally shooting a deer on a local road, near homes.

On Jan. 4 around 6:30 p.m., New York State Department of Environmental Conservation officer Joshua Sulkey responded to a 911 call from Ulster County about a deer that was shot on a road in the area of Marbletown.
    The man who is accusing of fatally shooting the deer was still on the scene when Sulkey arrived.
    The unnamed man admitted to shooting the deer with his .380 pistol to “humanely end its life,” officials say. The pistol was secured by officers.

The man was told its very dangerous to shoot a firearm near houses, or from a road, or at night, authorities say.
    The man was issued tickets for illegally killing a deer, discharging a firearm from a roadway, and discharging a firearm within 500 feet of a residence.
    He is set to appear in Marbletown Court in February.
    Related News

Read More: Hudson Valley Man Charged for ‘Humanely’ Killing Deer Hit By Car | http://hudsonvalleypost.com/hudson-v...ckback=tsmclip
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Yes I have been reading about it being illegal most everywhere, too many guys killing deer at the side of the road (poaching) then saying they hit it and had to put it out of it's misery. Also bullets going astray and injuring persons or property near by. Been reading about this in Deer and Deer hunting magazine I think.

If the story is true, the right thing to do isn't always legal unfortunately ...

Images
    A few years ago i got a call that a car hit a deer not far from my house it was still alive thrashing around in the road a school bus could not get by i was going to end its life but there was too many houses and a school bus full of kids i called the state police it took them over an hour to get on scene it the mean time i was able to drag the deer so the bus could get by i talk to the trooper about using my hand gun to end the deer life they said i would have been arrested for discharging my fire arm being so close to the houses..
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    A few years ago i got a call that a car hit a deer not far from my house it was still alive thrashing around in the road a school bus could not get by i was going to end its life but there was too many houses and a school bus full of kids i called the state police it took them over an hour to get on scene it the mean time i was able to drag the deer so the bus could get by i talk to the trooper about using my hand gun to end the deer life they said i would have been arrested for discharging my fire arm being so close to the houses..
    That is exactly why I posted this. In this case doing the right thing WILL put you in jail.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    Happened to me not too long ago.
    I called the cops and waited for them to arrive because it was near two houses in the middle of the road.
    Deer was still alive when the cop arrived. The cop watched it trying to drag itself up the road with its front legs (both back legs were broken). He asked me if I had a gun, and I said yea. He said that if I feel comfortable, to get the gun and shoot it myself. So, I did. He watched me shoot it. said thanks to me, enjoy the meat, and drove off. Said he did not have an road kill tags, but gavce me his number and badge if anyone questioned how I got the deer.

My father knifed a road injured deer that was flopping on the highway. Cops rolled up just as he did it. Threatened to press charges for unlawfully killing a deer. He got off with a warning.

---Like what was said, sometimes the right thing is not always the lawful thing.

I guess it all depends on the cop.

Also depends on where you live. Out in 'fly over country' when you tell people about this they look at you like you are mad. For them it is a no brainer to euthanize the animal. But yes, here it is illegal. Saw one a few months back and called the local PD. I have no idea how it all went down as I did not stay since I had to drop off the youngster at school and get to work.

Images
    sorry guys but cops have the option of using discretionary leeway in cases like this. it just requires a little common sense and critical thinking, rather than macho imposition of authoritative power. jmho