Thread: One off those days

Images

One off those days

Got a tip on a public spot that had a good amount of rabbit sign. Been looking forward to getting out there all week. It's a good hour and 20 minute drive from my house so had everything prepared the night before and left the house nice and early. Get on rt 8 and get a phone call. Its my mother inlaw saying she woke up and the house is freezing and her boiler isn't coming on. Wtf of course lol. She said she'd wait till after I was done hunting but the house was 60 degrees. While I'm on the phone with her a deer came out of nowhere and cleared the hood off my jeep. I caught 1 of the legs and it put a nice dent in the bumper. I stopped and saw the deer making its way up a hill through the woods limping. Nothing I could do so go to my mother in laws and got her heat going. This is why I don't do side work bc no heat and no cooling calls always come in when your on your way to do something. Decided to go to 1 of my closer spots since it was already light out and only had till 1 to hunt. Had a rabbit up and going when we got there. Rabbits first loop he came by me and I shot but missed. Load another round in the chamber and the dog brought it around again. This time I had a good shot and the rabbit dropped instantly. Go up to it and see why it dropped instantly. When I loaded another round I grabbed a #4 instead of a 7 1/2. Literally blew his insides apart. Tried salvaging something but there wasn't anything left to salvage. Left him in a brush pile for coyote bait. I use a 20 gauge pump and have #4 as my 3rd shot for far away shots. The first 2 are usually 7 1/2 or 6. Move on and we start another rabbit. She chased him a couple loops and I couldn't get a shot. Rabbit went into a huge junk/brush pile and dog went in trying to get it. After 10 minutes I hear the dog stop barking and start wimpering. She got stuck under the pile. Took me 45 min to get her out. Her collar got tangled in barbed wire in the pile. Called it a day after that before anything worse happened lol. Have MON and Tues off so will regroup and get after them again.

We all have them days. Just think about all of the successfull hunts you had this year. The other day i walked out in the dark,set up for coyotes, went to chamber a round and realized i forgot the rounds. Walked back out and got them,walked BACK in again, turned on the caller, and the batteries only lasted about a minute. Packed up and went kicking piles for rabbit. Got 1.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

I like 6 for rabbits...too bad you boogered him up. My brother called me to tell me they got 4 rabbits and 2 grouse today. Geez...he didn't even tell me a hunt was on today.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Years ago I brought a friend rabbit hunting. He shot his first bunny at about 10', sitting in a hole under a bush. Front end was mostly gone. When he cleaned what was left, he said, "WTF, there's a big chunk of plastic in it's gut". hahaha, I don't think the shot opened at all, hit him like a slug, wad and all.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Yesterday as I was going into the woods with my springers, I met a guy who said he shot a rabbit with a #4. Was that you?

Images
    Yes ct hunter that was me it was nice to meet you sir.

Your rabbit hunting season sounds like my last two deer seasons. Oh well. Keep plugging and things will come 'round!