Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snowshoe hares

Images

Snowshoe hares

Ran into some rabbit hunters yesterday while out rabbit hunting myself and we got to talking and ended up hunting together. They told me last year in Bolton they shot 2 snowshoe hares. I didn't think ct had a population of snowshoes. Has anyone ever had any luck shooting any in ct?

Haven't even rabbit hunted CT, let alone for snowshoes...I feel like I've run into them in NY though. Doesn't seem completely far fetched that there would be some here.

Images
    More than welcome to come with me whenever you want. We won't come near the numbers you get back in new York but it's always a good time. I usually go every sat up until the closer.

Forkhorn
    There used to be some Snow shoes around 40 years ago in the northern half of the state and near the RI border. I haven't seen one in a long time but haven't really looked. I was seeing plenty of cottontails until the end of deer season when I was going to shoot a couple. Now I walk through the orchard and nothing. My own fault, there are coyotes, bobcats and hawks aplenty and they like rabbit too.

Images
    2 weeks ago while rabbit hunting, my beagle was chasing a rabbit and it was coming right towards me and as I was about to take the shot a hawk came down and grabbed the rabbit. It saw me and panicked and didn't succeed and flew away. About 6 years ago same thing happened to me but the hawk was successful that time and flew away with the rabbit. I've been seeing alot of rabbits and rabbit sighn this year.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I've seen 3 since 2012 in Killingly while deer hunting. When I was a kid living in Moosup, my neighbor ran beagles and came home with snowshoes and cottontails, among other things, all the time.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    You've seen 3 snowshoe hares? If so that's awesome that there is indeed still a population.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Yeah, the first one I bumped was white on brown ground. Figured it was a good spot to sit, 15 minutes later shot a real nice buck.
    The second was also white in the snow, sitting in the middle of a trail I cut for deer.
    The third was early season and brown on brown. Barely saw that one from my stand as he hopped by.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by RABBIT HUNTER View Post
    More than welcome to come with me whenever you want. We won't come near the numbers you get back in new York but it's always a good time. I usually go every sat up until the closer.
    Appreciate the offer...may take you up on that sometime. I'm kinda glad I don't run into a heavy population of bunnies here...I'd probably own another dog.

Images
    I had a half white half brown in my yard last summer have not seen it since ,my guess a fisher got it had a few of them hanging around.
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn