Thread: Good luck bad luck? That is the question!

Good luck bad luck? That is the question!

So I took my crossbow out to my in laws this afternoon and hunted. It's been a while since I've seen the big 10 on camera so I assume he's dead, but I have been getting a nice old 9 pointer on camera along with several does. I'm thinking the 9 is the big 8 I missed two years ago and I really hope to get a crack at him. Shortly after 4 out walks a spike and he's messing around in the woods. All of a sudden he trots over to the area where I'm thinking the big deer will come from. Sure enough out walks the 9 at a steady pace. I see that one great side with the crab claw and I immediately and impatiently aim and shoot the crossbow. The shot is a little back but I'm hoping still ok. I go inside and eat dinner while waiting for him to die. I get to tracking and notice the blood has a lot of poop in it so I'm getting nervous. The snow in spots is a huge help for me seeing the blood. The blood is starting to get thin and my stomach is in knots and I'm looking around. What the heck? I see a horn. Wow this deers horn has fallen off. I'm thinking ok no big deal. If I want to mount him the taxidermist can fix it. A hundred more yards or so and there he is. What a monster big fat bodied huge headed doe. Wait what? Crap his other side is missing too. I feel the holes where once were horns. The horn I have in hand has a fresh bloody hole on the head. The other hole has started to scab over telling me that I just shot the big 9 and he didn't have one side of his rack. I feel sick to my stomach because I've only had a handful of chances at a trophy deer in my life. I get going on dressing the deer and get him skinned and boned out. Pulled my camera card and ran in to check it. Sure enough at 5:36PM yesterday he had both sides and at 2:22AM this morning he was missing a side. I hope like heck I walk up on it tomorrow and this weekend. I'll be combing the he woods good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take it to northeast taxidermy in middletown, bring that antler and any pictures you have of the deer, joey can make you an antler for the other side, most of the deer in cabelas have fake antlers, very tough to tell and they look great! Good luck and thats a beauty!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats on the buck. Sucks that the antlers fell off. There's a chance you can find the other, good luck.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Congrats. With enough persistance youll find it. Tight grid pattern my friend.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Long history with that deer. Wish I was in town to help. Good luck bud

Wow... Don't imagine that other side is too far away. Good luck finding it, and congrats on the buck! He's at least half a beauty!!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Congrats man! U will find that antler if u look hard enough! Post a pic of what he looked like on camera if u get second

He was the smaller buck on the right.

Both nice deer, definitely look related. Hope u find other side! Keep us posted
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post

He was the smaller buck on the right.