Thread: I Knew I Forgot Something -Penn State Study

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images

I Knew I Forgot Something -Penn State Study

I knew I forgot something

Posted: December 19, 2016
    Reporting is easy to forget.

Harvest estimates for the 2016-2017 hunting season will be released in early 2017.

The annual deer harvest is the result of the hunting faithfulís annual trek into Penn's Woods in pursuit of our state animal. Every year, tens of thousands harvest a deer. After a successful hunt, the fun is kind of over. Now comes the gutting, dragging, trip to the butcher, drive home, and then cleaning and storing equipment. If you process your own deer, the work more than doubles.
    Hunters are legally required to report their harvest to the Game Commission using any of 3 methods: postage-paid report card, toll-free phone number, or online. But in the hustle and bustle of the after-harvest activities, more than 60% of hunters do not. And compliance has been declining over the past 30 years.
    Some of our research deer are even ďforgotten.Ē None of our radio-collared deer that were killed in the hunting season last year were reported to us. This is in stark contrast to reward-tagged deer. Plenty of those were reported.
    Why does this matter? Hunting is the #1 cause of mortality for white-tailed deer in Pennsylvania and the harvest data are used to monitor population trends. So harvest data are important to the PGC for setting seasons and bag limits, as well as this research project.

In a recent hunter survey conducted by the PGC, 89% of hunters agreed that accurate reporting of each deer harvested is the hunterís ethical responsibility; 92% of hunters agreed that reporting a deer is an important part of deer management; and 91% agreed that all deer should be reported to the PGC. So why arenít they?
    The simple answer is hunters forget. Not remembering to report their harvest within the 10-day reporting period or flat out forgetting completely were the top 2 reasons hunters did not report their deer. With all the excitement (and work), who can blame them?

Read More:

http://ecosystems.psu.edu/research/p...Forest+Blog%29
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    60% of hunters "forget" to report their harvests and the number is still declining. WOW just WOW. I don't get how you can "forget" to report a harvest. I really don't.

I never would have guessed thst they number was that high and GROWING.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

In all the hustle and bustle they dont forgot the tree stand,or your bow,or ammo,eh?
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    10 day reporting?? I can see 24-48 hrs, but come on, PA gives all the time in the world.
    Since PA also has a point system on bucks, I would bet that most of the unreported are bucks that don't meet the standard # of points per side.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    I miss the punch tags and check stations. That made it pretty hard to forget.

Yeah,but malloy did away with that with all the budget cuts. It costs money to pay people to check deer and issue tags. But hey! We got fancy green busses with there own lanes in and out of hartford! That no one even uses.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

I definitely think some of it is attitude, how many high ranking public officials do you have to see getting away with intentional crimes, before you start to feel like a chump for following the letter of the law? I stay on the right side of the law so I can sleep easy at night, but the people that MAKE UP the laws need to be better role models for following them.

Forkhorn
    Images

Deer Tags & Check Stations

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzlyadam View Post
    I miss the punch tags and check stations. That made it pretty hard to forget.
    I agree, especially the going to the check station. It was a part of the hunting experience that the younger hunters miss out on. There was a station in Burlington, I forget the name of the business that was there but it was a gathering place for hunters to check in their deer, shoot the breeze for a bit and enjoy a bit of fellowship for a while.