Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decoy useage

Decoy useage

Is it still good for using a deer decoy?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    No. Not during any firearms season. You may use them again starting Jan. 2 in zones 11 & 12.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Could also use it during the late archery season on state land. Dec 21-31st. Not sure about effectiveness, never used a deer decoy before.

Turkey decoys work wonders on deer during the spring though. Brings them right in.

Check the field guide but I think TMH had it correct. No decoys after the start of firearms season. Can resume use on private land in 11 and 12 after the New Year (Jan 1 or 2 I'm not sure).

As for effectiveness - they can work when properly employed but you still have to do everything else correctly. Used em one time and heard somebody (large buck making the sign I'd been seeing?) coming in. Then nada. Realized later the wind went about 3ft past my stand and straight to ground. So it looked like the decoys worked but my scent/the wind got me busted.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    From the DEEP website:

Decoys - Decoys may be used during the early and late archery deer seasons, but must be covered with 400 sq. in. of fluorescent orange during transport. Decoys can not be used during the Nov. 16 - Dec. 31 time period.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard870 View Post
    Turkey decoys work wonders on deer during the spring though. Brings them right in.
    No kidding, what's up with that?

My bad I did not see the second part about the time period. I saw it under the attractants section as shown:

Use of Attractants for Deer Hunting
    The following attractants may be used while hunting deer in Connecticut:
    Deer decoys during the early and late archery seasons only.
    Last edited by Mallard870; 12-13-2016 at 03:43 PM.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard870 View Post
    My bad I did not see the second part about the time period. I saw it under the attractants section as shown:

Use of Attractants for Deer Hunting
    The following attractants may be used while hunting deer in Connecticut:
    Deer decoys during the early and late archery seasons only.
    I Had the same question once years back and posted the question in the Encon forum to get a clarification.

I had had a couple of hunters start stalking my Montana decoy during the early archery season. I had to let them know it was my decoy before it got ventilated .

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

I believe it. Have had it happen during turkey season with both other hunters and coyotes, more scary with the former. This spring I had a coyote try and grab my decoy only to realize his error. He turned and ran off but his buddy was not so lucky.

I imagine the taste of the decoy to be somewhere between tag soup and tree bark. Glad that guy didn't deflate your hunt. The coyote ruined mine, with the gobbler being roosted only 50yds away. I will say it was a credit to the decoy's toughness, no punctures. Sorry if I jacked the thread, your story just got me thinking of some of the head-shaking moments I've had in the woods.

Hey HH. I had the same thing happen the first time I used my Montana's. Bow only area and I heard the guy stalking in then when he was about 30yds out I heard him curse and stomp off. Didn't see any deer that day but this encounter made for an interesting day anyhow.