Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: make sure you have all your papework

I shot a deer last weekend , went to fill out my tag and the pen I keep in my pack was missing. Lucky that I didn't run into a warden. The law is the law , but sometimes chit happens. In the case of the father and son, why was a warden hanging around on private land , must have had a reason.

That was my thoughts as well. The officer just happened to wander into someones property on random?

Super Moderator/ CTHS Supportor BigOutdoors's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain man View Post
    That was my thoughts as well. The officer just happened to wander into someones property on random?
    yes they do.they did it to me Saturday, while I was walking out

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    The neighbors may have heard the shots and called Encon. Encon has to respond, good or bad.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I see a lot of you guys carry pens. Can a pencil be used? I keep two mechanical pencils in my pack along w/ tags and permission slips in a plastic zip lock. I figure pencils won't freeze if dry. Is pen required?

Images
    Only if you run into the same CO that busted those guys, lol. Im sure it doesnt matter as long as you fill out the tag. Just for the record, gel pens don't freeze up. I work outside writing lots of stuff down all year long and I use gel pens in the winter without any issues. Regular pens work in freezing temps too is you stick them in your mouth for a few seconds between words.

Forkhorn
    Images

paper work

When the new tagging system started, I carried a pen in my pack until one cold day when I killed a deer and the pen was frozen. I then switched to carrying several pencils, which always work. I've even showed my kill reports to game wardens over the years and had no issues. The regulation states that the kill report must be filled out immediately upon harvesting a deer or turkey. There's nothing I could find that says pen or pencil, just fill it out.

12 Point
    Maybe use a fine tipped Sharpie instead?

6 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by alukban View Post
    Maybe use a fine tipped Sharpie instead?
    They may freeze. Be safe, use a crayon... they still work frozen and can't be erased. 🤓

I got a pen in my pack, but I think I will switch to pencils as the law doesn't specify what, just that it has to be filled out.