Thread: Looking for suggestions on sons first hunt

CTHS Supporter Conquer Antartica Champion Broadhead Joe's Avatar

Looking for suggestions on sons first hunt

My son just turned 13 and I want to take him on his first hunt. He can handle his 20 gauge so I was thinking of maybe doing a pheasant hunt on a preserve. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I would do a squirrel hunt. Plenty of them, can take 8 a day and no extra expense. In the right place you may even kick up a rabbit.

If he can sit still in the woods, a deer hunt isn't out of the question either. Deer tags are cheaper than a preserve pheasant hunt.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    I would do a squirrel hunt. Plenty of them, can take 8 a day and no extra expense. In the right place you may even kick up a rabbit.

If he can sit still in the woods, a deer hunt isn't out of the question either. Deer tags are cheaper than a preserve pheasant hunt.
    Squirrels with a 22 and then move up from there. By next year with a 20 guage he'll be ready for turkey season.

Id have to agree. Lots of guys(kids) get there feet wet with squirrel. Its good for teaching them the art of sitting still.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Take him to the sound for ducks, you will get shooting in down there. Dont use a guide, so unauthentic
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    For a guided hunt, I think the best for kids is wild boar.
    imo: Pheasants fly quick, and kids don't seem to be able to control the barrel well enough to be on target on winged hunts.