Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 Week Hunting Report

Images

1 Week Hunting Report

I have been out everyday since opening day of State Land shotgun A season. Hunting hard every morning till at least 10 am, and back out as early as noon.

So far I have seen 28 does, 1 monster buck I have been after who gave me no shot that I have pics of last year and this year, a small 8 point, a fork, and a spike.

I have seen hardly any fresh scrapes touched, and not one buck trailing all these does. There is much less buck sign and activity this year than normal for November.

Scouting in the off season, and observation during the season play a big part in how I hunt. I don't pull the trigger on everything I see, especially on state land where you only get 1 tag.

Just wondering what you guys are seeing?
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

Ive been seeing about the same as you. Not. A whole lot of buck activity or sign, although. Yesterday i did see a decent 8 ptr right on the heels of a hot doe. He looked to be rutted up pretty good with stained tarsals and tongue dragging on the ground.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Also, havent seen much morning activity. Mostlt late afternoon to last light. Got mine about a minute before last legal shooting light.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Pretty similar experience here. Didn't get out quite as much as you but I'm seeing the same as far as big buck rutting activity. Little to no fresh sign with most movement either skippers or does. My dad shot a decent 2-1/2 yr old 9pt pushing 6 does yesterday a.m. on state and I've seen a couple small bucks harassing does but no big boys. If there's does in estrus maybe they have them in lock down. Can't gauge where we are in the rut right now but definitely not the phase where deer run around with reckless abandon.

What do you think late rut, small rut, stuck in a rut? I don't know. At least there are deer moving though.

I haven't hunted as hard as you but I have been going. I hunted a.m. 4 days till 10 or so , and 2 afternoons. Didn't hunt Monday and Tuesday due to wind. I have seen 1 deer. Saturday morning I tagged a nice 8 pter. Now I'm not as charged up because I can only shoot does, but I would like to put another 1 in the freezer. Not a great deal of sign a few scrapes here and there.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    In the last week (Wed - 3, Thurs - 5, Sat - 2, today - 3) I've seen 10 Antlerless, 1 young 4pt and two unknown. No big bucks.
    Didn't hunt Fri. Sun. Mon. Tues.

Sunday I met a guy that shot an 8pt off a doe on Friday, 11/18. He didn't even let the buck finish. All these years hunting, I've never seen actual (deer) breeding in person.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

12 Point
    no daytime movement at all by me

Images
    I only been out twice this year due to health issues, last week Friday i went to a spot that i have not hunted in years seen one deer that's it.
    Nothing on the food plot..........
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Forkhorn
    You guys are doing great first time out back in Sept I saw 7. That was it and I put my time in too. Rifle on private land I jumped one in the dark on opening day and saw one last Friday but couldn't get a shot. I have killed about 125 deer in my life and for years I put three in the freezer or more. This year I don't see anything, really odd. I have seen 2 bob cats and 1 large coyote that was behind a bush and offered no shot. I am worried that the neighboring properties are getting hit hard. While antler hunting last feb I saw a tree stand about 120 yards off one place I hunt on my main funnel they came in on. Its a good spot for them not so much for me
    On the other property its 115 acres and seems pretty void of deer.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSwampYankee View Post
    You guys are doing great first time out back in Sept I saw 7. That was it and I put my time in too. Rifle on private land I jumped one in the dark on opening day and saw one last Friday but couldn't get a shot. I have killed about 125 deer in my life and for years I put three in the freezer or more. This year I don't see anything, really odd. I have seen 2 bob cats and 1 large coyote that was behind a bush and offered no shot. I am worried that the neighboring properties are getting hit hard. While antler hunting last feb I saw a tree stand about 120 yards off one place I hunt on my main funnel they came in on. Its a good spot for them not so much for me
    On the other property its 115 acres and seems pretty void of deer.
    What Area of N. Stonington are you hunting ? I'm in the Wyassup Lake area.