Thread: Replacement Tags (CT)

Button Buck

Replacement Tags (CT)

Ok - I went to a check station for the first time for a replacement tag, which I probably will not need. I shot a button buck in zone 11. Never would have shot it if I knew it was a buck but I did. Anyway, went to one of the DEEP check stations. The clerk took all my info, filled out all the forms, and then said he needed to see the deer, which I had expected. He looked at the head, reached down and moved the hair to either side of the "button" and said I can't check this deer. I asked why and he said because it has visible antlers. I said then what is a "button buck?" He said it has visible antlers and he can't check it. I can tell you with certainty they were not visible unless you moved the hair out of the way. I won't say which check station it was, but I must say it was not a pleasant experience. It seems to me "visible antlers" would mean that the hunter would have had to have been able to see them from a reasonable distance away in order to determine what it was before shooting? Am I wrong? This place was also a gun store and he was wearing a sidearm during the "discussion". I have nothing against firearms, and if I owned a firearms store, I would do the same. Just not sure it was appropriate for a state contractor to be carrying a firearm while servicing a "customer"? This guy had no personality and acted as if I had ruined his day by bringing in this deer. Weird experience!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    He was wrong. Report it to DEEP in hartford - 860-424-3011.
    I would take pictures too, with a date attached.
    You can also bring it (the head) to another check station that knows what the hell they are doing. Button bucks are antlerless deer.

Regardless of sex, you still should've got a replacement antlerless tag, since it wouldn't qualify for an earn a buck tag. I'm sure others in that area will chime in.
    Last edited by TooManyHobbies; 11-18-2016 at 11:11 PM.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Button Buck
    Thanks, TMH...I should have brought it to another station. I already discarded of it but it was really disappointing. I didn't take photos either, which would have been a good idea. I may report it to DEEP anyway...about the last thing I wanted to do on the days I took off from work to hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    He was wrong. Report it to DEEP in hartford - 860-424-3011.
    I would take pictures too, with a date attached.
    You can also bring it (the head) to another check station that knows what the hell they are doing. Button bucks are antlerless deer.

Regardless of sex, you still should've got a replacement antlerless tag, since it wouldn't qualify for an earn a buck tag. I'm sure others in that area will chime in.

The guy was totally wrong, button bucks are considered antlerless.

Had this problem before, ct is not like other states, in law books states, polished antlers, no matter how big, shot a deer with1" polished antlers, had to use a buck tag

Sent from my HTC331ZLVW using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk