Thread: Busted..again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 Point

Busted..again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had the day off due to the election so I arose somewhat early and headed to my stand site. I arrived a tad late,right at legal shooting time and went into my stand. I set my blue tooth speaker and used the Ruger iHUNT application to make some calls.

The area is loaded with mountain laurel and I found a split oak tree to set my hang on stand. In front of me is a patch of laurel with a run that has four scrapes going in about a 100 yard circle. To the east of me is another laurel patch.

To cut to the chase it was about 710 AM when I played the estrous doe call. At 711 I hear movement to the east and see a face. It is a deer. It is about 40 yards but in thick brush. The wind is sort of westerly by northwest which kind of puts my scent to the buck. I did have my fleece camo outfit on which has been vacuum sealed with scent wafers. So it smells heavily of earth. The deer is in a spot that later I lazed at 36 yards. It looked directly at me but then wandered off to the north and ate some acorns. It was at 46 yards, again lazed but for me out of range for my Bowtech Guardian.

I spotted the deer move westward a good 75 to 100 yards away as it went along the trail.

I pressed the estrous bellow and soon saw the deer come back but it followed the same circular route and this time in the middle of the laurels. So no way for a shot. The last thing at 734 AM I saw was the back side of the buck at a slow trot to the southwest where it came from.

I am wondering, should I move my stand closer to the laurel patch where it came from? Should I just sit tight? Not 100 percent sure what to do.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Deer are smart and will often circle to scent check before going in. Especially later in the season.

You said that you smell like dirt. That isn't correct. You smell like earth scent wafers whic may or may not smell like dirt to a deer. Even if it smells like dirt to a deer it isn't a normal scent there so the deer is going to be suspicious.

Can you set up in a way that prevents him from circling?
    Will climbing higher put your scent stream out of reach for his nose?

Get some milk weed fluff (strip off the seeds) to see where your scent is really going.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I think we all ask that same question eventually. I just put up a stand last week, that once it was up I thought I should've put it 30 yards away. Sure enough, yesterday a real nice buck was about 10 yards from where I thought I should've put it, but didn't.
    Then there's the time when you DO move it, and the deer never use that trail again.
    Good luck.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

As HH said the wafer is not exactly like dirt to a deer's nose. Now is a perfect time to collect leaves and pine needles. Use those when you store your stuff. Make sure they are dry first or you'll get new interesting things growing.

As for the stand.. think about it calmly, check the wind, and decide. Maybe you just need to lean in a direction or cup the call to make it seem like the call is coming from a different spot.

6 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by DanburyBowhunter View Post
    As HH said the wafer is not exactly like dirt to a deer's nose. Now is a perfect time to collect leaves and pine needles. Use those when you store your stuff. Make sure they are dry first or you'll get new interesting things growing.

As for the stand.. think about it calmly, check the wind, and decide. Maybe you just need to lean in a direction or cup the call to make it seem like the call is coming from a different spot.

Great ideas. Thank you for the suggestions.