Thread: New to turkey

Images

New to turkey

I've been a deer hunter both bow& rifle/shotgun for 30+ years, during that time I have seen tons of turkey but never hunted them. The farm that I hunt in Brookfield, Ct always had turkeys running around 10 to 15 to my left and 6 or 7 to my right, hell they pooped on from the trees.
    Last year 2015, I decided to give this turkey hunt a shot, (no pun intended), but now ALL the turkeys have gone, not one to be found.
    What has happen to or gone wrong with the farm that the birds have flown the nest?

Fall vs. spring?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

That is very odd. The only things I can think of would be decrease in food source, increase in predators, or someone nearby started hunting and you have hunting pressure. I usually see birds in totally different places in the spring vs during the fall. I feel like they change there pattern several times during the year due to food sources and what not. Spring time hunting in my opinion is jammed packed action with lots of strutting and gobbling whereas fall hunting reminds me of deer hunting. You just kinda sit and wait. You can bust up a flock during the fall, move off and call them back together. Although a warm mid September I have had turkeys gobbling there head off and strutting around which blew my mind when I first moved up here from Mississippi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Sounds right to me. When I deer hunt, I see turkeys. When I turkey hunt, I see deer. Wish they would all get on the same page as me.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    I would guess that the feed is still there.
    one answer, Bobcats.

They are probably feeding on acorns. Though a bit smaller and fewer than last year, it is still decent crop.

Images
    Thanks for the input, I guessing predators, since this is a private farm that my son and I hunt and no one else. ( For Sure)
    This is a working farm along with acres on wooded areas, and the food source is plentiful, so that's not it.
    So that leaves that predator theory, which is the greatest possibility, so I'm going with this one.