Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2016/2017 Season

Images

Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2016/2017 Season

It's almost here! Trapping season! With this cold weather I'm really itching to set some steel. Not sure what everyone's interest is in reading trapping posts anymore but thought I'd get a 2016/2017 post going.

My focus this year will be a bit more on predators. Coyote trapping mostly. Two farms and my own property should provide ample opportunity to put up some coyote fur. I'm also going to run a raccoon line here starting on opening day. Not so much for the fur, but more as area predator control ... Once winter sets in, the less small predators going after my ducks and chickens, the better. I've had raccoons prowling the edge of my bird pens and I've seen a couple skunks in the yard. As far as water trapping, I've got a good handful of beaver locations pinned out and a couple homeowner beaver complaints to tackle. I want to let a few of my go-to beaver spots sit untouched for a year. Not to mention a few other spots I was eying are completely dry and the beavers have moved elsewhere.

No numbers goals for me this year. My only goals are first fisher on my land and an otter in a true otter set, not in a beaver set. A deadfall catch would be fantastic ... Couple close calls last year. Still have to dye and wax my traps. Get that done perhaps this coming weekend. Got some new K9 traps out being welded, the chains. Got my state land permit last week. I asked how many were sold last year. Only 49 state land permits were issued. 33 on the west side of the river, 16 on the east side. So far this year, only 12 have been issued.

26 degrees this morning. 24 forecast for tomorrow and 2-4 inches of snow! Get them furbearers thinking about nice prime coats!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Can't wait to read your posts! Will have to set some traps on the new land once we get there!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    My mind wants to do it. My body has no interest. I don't know, maybe it's the other way around. For a moment a couple days ago, I thought about skinning one of my skunks. It was just a moment. lol.
    Look forward to your posts.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Haha, I'm sure you'll set a couple coyote traps at some point this season or get after a nuisance beaver or two.
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Usually I am very interested in trapping adventures. Off late I was at my wits end in attempting to trap coyotes playing havoc in my backyard. I own a pretty large poultry farm. I set traps but on all occasions they outsmarted me. Finally I had to seek help of wildlife removal service a1 checkmate (http://removethewild.com/services/) . I have not given up on my trapping interests. If next time they venture into my backyard I ll have a go at them. I had a close look at the measures these wildlife removal services adopt. One effective trap is to take a firm grip of the paw of the coyote which cannot move until the trapper comes close and loosens it. Quite risky for novice trappers! Best would be cage trap or lethal trap.

Images
    Well trapping season opened last Sunday. Set a few raccoon traps on my property but it's been slow. Just want one to see how the fur looks. Will release if it looks no bueno. Plan to set a little harder once fisher trapping season opens.

In the meantime I've been working on all the hold over furs I had in the freezer from last season. I'm done, finally! Everything gets shipped out soon. Thought I'd share a few pics from the last couple days...

Attached Images Attached Images
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

12 Point
    I'll be putting out some mink sets tomorrow as well.

Let's see what happens

Images
    Fisher opens today! Strapped on the snowshoes and went up on my hill to set a few traps and look for sign in the snow. Lot of coyote and fox and bobcat tracks. Hoping this snow is a sign from the trapping gods that I'll finally catch a damn "west of the river" fisher!!

Attached Images Attached Images
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Wow you guys got a decent amount of snow there. Is it melting at all? Thinking off heading up that way this week to do some rabbit hunting.

Images
    Not at all. Snowing hard still. Really picked up within the last hour.
    www.PAWServicesCT.com