Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pheasant W.Mass

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Hunter View Post
    Noho in the 80s'! You brought back many memories. I lived in North Amherst and later Hadley in the 70's and early 80's after I got out of the Army. I remember downtown with Tepper's and Fine's (still have a pair of Herman Survivor's I bought there after I had to give up on using my combat boots for hunting) and other stores. Today it has become the same pretentious crap you find everywhere. Do you remember Pioneer Valley Sports in Noho and Valley Sports in Easthampton? Of course there was Woolco in the Hadley Mall where I used to buy a brick of Thunderbolts for $5. I also hunted without a dog and with a Mossberg with a 30" full choke barrel. It was the worst gun in the world for grouse, but it was all I could afford. It was a long time ago.
    Fines LOL Best place to purchase Levis around!! I remember all those sporting goods stores. Unfortunately the anti liberal mindset has put the good stores out of business. We are fighting to hunt areas I hunted as a kid because doctor so-in-so bought a 100 acres that abuts professor so-in-so 80 acres which abuts the Audubon's 150 acres.....It has gone to crap. My son laughs when I show him areas I shot my first grouse or turkey.....he cannot believe the change.

Funny I still have bricks (500) of .22 long I bought at Woolco when I was a teen........brick of 500 rounds $7.95 LOL

Quote Originally Posted by AlloyToy View Post
    Fines LOL Best place to purchase Levis around!! I remember all those sporting goods stores. Unfortunately the anti liberal mindset has put the good stores out of business. We are fighting to hunt areas I hunted as a kid because doctor so-in-so bought a 100 acres that abuts professor so-in-so 80 acres which abuts the Audubon's 150 acres.....It has gone to crap. My son laughs when I show him areas I shot my first grouse or turkey.....he cannot believe the change.

Funny I still have bricks (500) of .22 long I bought at Woolco when I was a teen........brick of 500 rounds $7.95 LOL
    Yep that sounds like the happy valley. It wasn't always that way. I remember going into the Atkins store in South Amherst with a .22 Ruger on my hip after hunting birds in the area (the .22 was for rabbits and squirrels). Bak then, that no one cared or got concerned. If I did that today, I'd have a swat team take me down and everyone else in the store would get extended counseling to recover from the trauma of seeing a person with a pistol. BTW, you paid too much for the bricks. I waited for sales and would pick up one or two for $5.
    Last edited by CT-Hunter; 10-25-2016 at 10:20 AM.

12 Point
    Back out this morning for a quick hunt before work. Two flushes and dusted this hen.......she hunted hard in the 28 degree morning
    Attached Images Attached Images

12 Point
    My wife and I headed out sat AM. This is her first year bird hunting and we were determined to get her a shot with my old 20 ga single shot

Dog worked hard finding us her first hen. She flushed it out of the thick stuff and as it headed for the woods she let a shot fly and dropped the bird at 30 yards. Dog retrieved and delivered it to her hand I think now she has a better understanding for all the months of training I put into the puppy. Nice when it all comes together for a new hunter.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats on her first bird. Nice pic too.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

12 Point
    Quick hunt this morning before work. Local club put some fatties in this week. Changed my O/U bottom barrel out to a skeet choke and I can hit something finally Had a nice going away shot at a hen and managed a fat "roaster" rooster Fun morning before the light rain moved in

12 Point
    Back at the birds over the last week with great success. Took a neighborhood kid out for a couple hours on veterans day. He managed a couple birds over the dog. My youngest sons birthday was last Sat. I broke him away from the tree stand for a morning of bird hunting. He was rewarded with a nice rooster. And did a quick trip this morning before work to the management area. Dog hunted hard and flushed a lonely rooster tucked into the bank of a brook. Beautiful 35 yard going away shot and dusted that bird which she quickly retrieved and delivered to hand. Having a great time hunting her with family and friends

Images
    Awesome, I'm still seeing alot of birds scattered throughout on public land whIle rabbit hunting. There always way in the back In the thickets where there's no trails and not to many people will go. It tough getting a shot with my dog tho bc she will just chase em until they take off in the air. I can tell by looking on the GPS at the way she's running and by her bark if it's a rabbit or pheasant. How does that vest on the dog work out? Where did you purchase it? Does it make her get hung up at all? The ones I see are bulky and don't fit tight like that one.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by RABBIT HUNTER View Post
    Awesome, I'm still seeing alot of birds scattered throughout on public land whIle rabbit hunting. There always way in the back In the thickets where there's no trails and not to many people will go. It tough getting a shot with my dog tho bc she will just chase em until they take off in the air. I can tell by looking on the GPS at the way she's running and by her bark if it's a rabbit or pheasant. How does that vest on the dog work out? Where did you purchase it? Does it make her get hung up at all? The ones I see are bulky and don't fit tight like that one.
    Thanks!! I use to have beagles we had trained for rabbit.....I use to try to pheasant hunt them but never knew if I should look high or low LOL When I looked for a bird she was on a rabbit and when I was ready for a rabbit he would flush a bird LOL

Vest (skid plate) I purchased on ebay adjustable fits pretty snug she swims in it and certainly is not afraid of getting into the trick stuff for the birds. No complaints......it holds up nicely and has saved her under carriage many times from old barbed wire in the woods. it's adjustable so I can snug it up on her. I like it because she has plenty of room around the legs and shoulders. I just rinse it and hang it out to dry for the next time. Best $30.00 I spent

12 Point
    Tough hunt last Sat Wife missed a hen but we did manage this fat rooster that was hiding down deep in a ditch Pup worked hard finally making the flush. Shot through the brush winged the bird and the pup took care of the rest. Very proud of her intensity persistance and hard work