Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pheasant W.Mass

12 Point

Pheasant W.Mass

Season opened last Sat. we managed a hen in the crowd on many hunters. Personally I like the one or two hour trips before or after work better than the weekend trips. Yesterday my son, the dog and I headed out fora couple hours to a small area in town. As I'm putting her vest on her nose is in the air and she is birdy as hell. We head in and right next to the truck she flushes a hen that we pass on. Make our way thru the thick and she flushes a woodcock that my son shoots (his first) and the dog retrieves. The retrieve surprised me as she just DOES NOT like the taste of those birds. I have been working with her by taping a woodcock wing to the bumper and having her retrieve it but it is by far not her favorite bird. Walked a a patch of tall grass/golden rod and flushed a rooster that my son shot. By then the dog was beat hunting in 84 degree weather so we called it just before sunset. Fun trip for sure.

Attached Images Attached Images

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Very nice. She is a beautiful dog.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

12 Point
    Thanks for the kind words. Helluva bird hunter, and retriever but stubborn as hell If I send her into the thick and she comes out empty she has that "told ya so" attitude

Images
    Anyone that has been married any length of time knows that look.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by AlloyToy View Post
    Season opened last Sat. we managed a hen in the crowd on many hunters. Personally I like the one or two hour trips before or after work better than the weekend trips. Yesterday my son, the dog and I headed out fora couple hours to a small area in town. As I'm putting her vest on her nose is in the air and she is birdy as hell. We head in and right next to the truck she flushes a hen that we pass on. Make our way thru the thick and she flushes a woodcock that my son shoots (his first) and the dog retrieves. The retrieve surprised me as she just DOES NOT like the taste of those birds. I have been working with her by taping a woodcock wing to the bumper and having her retrieve it but it is by far not her favorite bird. Walked a a patch of tall grass/golden rod and flushed a rooster that my son shot. By then the dog was beat hunting in 84 degree weather so we called it just before sunset. Fun trip for sure.

Where in western MA are you hunting? When I lived in Hadley, I hunted all over the valley. Back then there were grouse and even some native pheasant.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Hunter View Post
    Where in western MA are you hunting? When I lived in Hadley, I hunted all over the valley. Back then there were grouse and even some native pheasant.
    I hunt the Hatfield meadows, The meadows along the Deerfield River, and some of the Mass WMA

Back out this morning quickly before work. 3 flushes A hen going away into the woods didn't take the shot, a grouse no shot and a Rooster which I dusted Nice cool morning our lab had her game on Had the place to ourself
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Nice.

I couldn't tell you the last time I put up a grouse. Been a long time.

Bob

I hunt the Hatfield meadows, The meadows along the Deerfield River, and some of the Mass WMA

Back out this morning quickly before work. 3 flushes A hen going away into the woods didn't take the shot, a grouse no shot and a Rooster which I dusted Nice cool morning our lab had her game on Had the place to ourself
    I used to hunt there. That was a favorite place along with some covers in South Amherst, Deerfield and Hadley. I even used to hunt Northampton from time to time. Of course with no dog, I never got much. But hey, time in the woods is never wasted.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter
    Nice.

I couldn't tell you the last time I put up a grouse. Been a long time.

Bob
    I just wish I could hit the damn things They are just to quick for me

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Hunter View Post
    I used to hunt there. That was a favorite place along with some covers in South Amherst, Deerfield and Hadley. I even used to hunt Northampton from time to time. Of course with no dog, I never got much. But hey, time in the woods is never wasted.
    Grew up in Northampton.......spent a ton of time in the meadows hunting without a dog in the 80's Back then they put in so many birds you didn't need a dog now they put in a dozen birds for 60 guys LOL I try to do my quick morning and afternoon hunts and cherry pick the spots I hunt.........or do a just before dark trip and clean up the scraps on a Sat afternoon. You wouldn't believe how many birds we find shot that guys don't follow up on after their shot

I just wish I could hit the damn things They are just to quick for me

Grew up in Northampton.......spent a ton of time in the meadows hunting without a dog in the 80's Back then they put in so many birds you didn't need a dog now they put in a dozen birds for 60 guys LOL I try to do my quick morning and afternoon hunts and cherry pick the spots I hunt.........or do a just before dark trip and clean up the scraps on a Sat afternoon. You wouldn't believe how many birds we find shot that guys don't follow up on after their shot

Noho in the 80s'! You brought back many memories. I lived in North Amherst and later Hadley in the 70's and early 80's after I got out of the Army. I remember downtown with Tepper's and Fine's (still have a pair of Herman Survivor's I bought there after I had to give up on using my combat boots for hunting) and other stores. Today it has become the same pretentious crap you find everywhere. Do you remember Pioneer Valley Sports in Noho and Valley Sports in Easthampton? Of course there was Woolco in the Hadley Mall where I used to buy a brick of Thunderbolts for $5. I also hunted without a dog and with a Mossberg with a 30" full choke barrel. It was the worst gun in the world for grouse, but it was all I could afford. It was a long time ago.