Thread: Hunters from West Hartford, Avon, Canton, Farmington and Simsbury needed for magazine article

Hunters from West Hartford, Avon, Canton, Farmington and Simsbury needed for magazine article

Hey guys, a friend of mine writes for LIFE, the town-specific free magazine that you may get, and she's interested in running a story about hunting. She writes for West Hartford, Avon, Canton, Farmington and Simsbury specifically, so she's looking to talk to hunters from any of those towns.

The next issue will be out in November, and I suggested a piece about hunters who put a wild turkey on their family's Thanksgiving day table, or other holiday dishes made from wild game.

Considering that this is a non-hunting publication, I see this as an opportunity to show a non hunting audience what we do, and maybe change some minds. If nothing else, it would be nice to read something positive about hunting, as opposed to the usual controversy and nonsense.

If you live in one of those towns or know someone who does, and are interested, PM me or leave your info here. I'll forward them to my friend.

Hope everyone's season is going well,
    Andy

Images
    I grew up in Simsbury and lived in an apartment in Avon when I was in college and then through a big chunk of my 20's. There is a reason I moved almost an hour away to the middle of no where. With my business now, if my customer base wasn't 95% in Farmington Valley I'd never go back to the area. Not exactly a hunter friendly place. Not at all. I think your friend definitely needs to connect hunting to something the people who are going to read that publication understand and identify with. The Thanksgiving table and family connection is a good avenue. Although, I'd tell your friend to expect some negative pushback. The anti hunting-entitled-disconnected-from-reality-types live everywhere but Farmington Valley really is it's own special place for this. "How dare a hunter kill a turkey!" Even though they're cooking up a store bought Butterball...
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    I grew up in Simsbury and lived in an apartment in Avon when I was in college and then through a big chunk of my 20's. There is a reason I moved almost an hour away to the middle of no where. With my business now, if my customer base wasn't 95% in Farmington Valley I'd never go back to the area. Not exactly a hunter friendly place. Not at all. I think your friend definitely needs to connect hunting to something the people who are going to read that publication understand and identify with. The Thanksgiving table and family connection is a good avenue. Although, I'd tell your friend to expect some negative pushback. The anti hunting-entitled-disconnected-from-reality-types live everywhere but Farmington Valley really is it's own special place for this. "How dare a hunter kill a turkey!" Even though they're cooking up a store bought Butterball...
    Now i understand why you tear up when we shoot geese in the lips
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Woodsman, I agree that a delicate approach to those types is needed, thats exactly my hope for this article. Even though they're frustrating to deal with, I think we shouldn't give up on the disconnected non hunters. It's all about how we tell our story, and if we aren't proactive with our message then we will continue to be defined by outsiders who don't understand what we do.