Thread: Sea Bass & Fluke

12 Point

Sea Bass & Fluke

Spent last week camping over in Jamestown RI again this year with the family and some friends. Canoeing, clamming, and fishing. On Wed last week we started over in front of Newport to see if we could find some keeper fluke. Did manage a couple but not enough to keep the teens on-board excited. Made the 8 mile run east to Sakonnet where we had the place to ourselves Once we found the fish it was lock and load fishing with large sea bass to 5 lbs and large keeper size fluke which kept rods bent. Sometimes 3 rods at a time We fished the SE drift thru the afternoon tide before heading back to camp to make some delicious fish taco's with fresh tomato's and lettuce from our garden

If you can make the run there is some great fishing to the east
    Attached Images Attached Images

We did the same on Sunday just south of the wind farm at BI. We were in 80 feet of water, greasy flat calm and no other boats with us. We limited out on jumbo sea bass and had some jumbo fluke also. Same as you, used ingredients from our garden and made fish tacos. Nothing better when everything is that fresh. Has on huge sea bass bitten off behind gills by a shark, good size bite radius. Never even felt it.

12 Point
    Not sure if this was a shark or a monster bluefish.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

Had a few blues follow a fluke up to the boat off Misquamicut taking bites like a school of piranahas, they ate half of it. Made a couple runs out to the windmills last week , limited out on fluke both trips. Average size was about 5 lbs., 7 lbs. was the biggest. We were just n.w. of the southern platform.

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Had a few blues follow a fluke up to the boat off Misquamicut taking bites like a school of piranahas, they ate half of it. Made a couple runs out to the windmills last week , limited out on fluke both trips. Average size was about 5 lbs., 7 lbs. was the biggest. We were just n.w. of the southern platform.
    I heard there was a good bite from the east grounds to the wind mills

I can vouch for the windmills , heard the same about the east grounds. The first trip we found them in 70 ft. west of the platform . Second trip they were in 85 ft. north of the windmill. I think drift direction made the difference. I heard the Coast Guard was out there this week warning people to stay 500 yards away from the platforms during construction.

From the bite radius on ours no doubt shark. Yours looks like good size also. We caught some alligator blues but none with mouths that big.

I agree . A bluefish bite is rounder.