Thread: Hot Dog!

Hot Dog!

I love em. Summer time and dogs on the grill...they sustain me over the course of summer break. The hot weather makes it tough to get out and get aggressive with the calling. But coyotes continue to do their thing throughout the day just like everything else.

I have been after them all summer, but have hit a stretch of bad shooting. I've flat out missed four and Treat missed another. I spent a week at the range fine tuning the rifles and dialing back my zeros. Most of the shots taken when calling are within 150 yards or so. Aiming "center mass" all my life has led to bullets flying over those coyotes. It's difficult to tell yourself to aim low when they're close, so I decided it might be easier to hold high if it's further out.

I have a Ruger American that I had some modifications done to...shortened the barrel, filled the stock and forearm to stiffen up the cheaper plastic, and added an AAC flash suppressor so that I can throw a can on when shooting at the range to save my hearing with the shortened barrel. When the barrel was 22", it loved 150gr SSTs, but not so much with the shorter barrel. I decided to try a lighter bullet...125gr Nosler Ballistic Tips...WOW! 5/8" group with a 6X scope whose center dot covered the bulls-eye. I found my bullet.

Anyway...checked a farm this afternoon, and sure enough they were cutting. They pick this stuff up in the same day, so I knew I had to get out tonight. I drove up a little early and they were still picking up the field. It was 84 degrees when I arrived. As one truck came out, the driver stopped and saw me getting my gear out of the back of my car. He told me exactly where he had seen a couple of coyotes bouncing in and out of the field as they were cutting in the morning. Second truck comes out and the driver tells me he had seen a coyote (or "coy-dog" as he says) 5 minutes prior in the corner of the field. I grabbed my stuff and marched around the outside of the field toward that very corner. As I am coming over the crest, I see a brown body, 100 and change away. He was digging furiously in the newly cut field. He stopped and checked around a couple of times, but I already had my rifle mounted on the shooting sticks and just waited for him to turn broadside.

One shot from the .308 dropped him to the ground, though the shot was a little high. Still alive but unable to move, I walked up and finished him off with the sidearm. This is first blood for this rifle. Easy to carry, and relatively light built for summer dogs. Don't care one bit about pelt damage when I take this out with me.

Still a lot of cutting going on, still plenty of opportunities. The dog days of summer...#11 for this year.

Nice dog, save a side of onion rings for me
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Nice dog! How was the pelt damage with the .308? I've been interestered in trying out some of the lighter stuff (110gr & 125gr) or a FMJ as a varmint round.

Quote Originally Posted by czins95 View Post
    Nice dog! How was the pelt damage with the .308? I've been interestered in trying out some of the lighter stuff (110gr & 125gr) or a FMJ as a varmint round.
    Unfortunately, the shot was high and removed a chunk of his back just behind the shoulders. Any bullet will do that, so until I catch one square, I can't answer. I'll get some better pics next time. An FMJ will probably do the least amount of damage...but I like things that look like a grenade exploded.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Nice shooting Scott. Miserable temps. How are the bugs?
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Nice shooting Scott. Miserable temps. How are the bugs?
    Mosquitoes were brutal once the sun set. I think I sat on a nest of them...if that's a thing. Sure seemed liked it!

Images
    Someones having some summer time fun! Always enjoy your posts and updates

CTHS Supporter
    Images
    Nice shooting s2h. I had 1 out with me while tedding hay last week middle of the morning heat also. Didn't seem to have a care in the world i was out there on the tractor. Closest it got was about 25ft mostly stayed out about 50ft. Just eating every dead mouse/rat it could find. Even went and layed down in the shade on the hedgerow to rest for a bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Mosquitoes were brutal once the sun set. I think I sat on a nest of them...if that's a thing. Sure seemed liked it!
    Buy a termacell they work great .

Nice shooting on the mutt kill them all ,i have been watching a doe with twins seems like they may make it only heard the yotes one night.

Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn