Thread: Fisher Cat Help

12 Point

Fisher Cat Help

Hi All, One of our ducks had been sitting on her nest of 15 eggs for about 3 weeks. The other night she must have been pushed off her nest and into the barn where she was attacked and eaten leaving only the breast bone and the feet. Looked like a murder scene in the barn. Last night went to let the dog out at 10:30 pm before bed. She stepped out on the patio and her hair stood up on her back and nose in the air. Turned and went back inside.

The bloody prints in the bard insured that it was indeed a fisher.

How do I get rid of this thing? Little nervous with all the other ducks and the dogs.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    1st - Stop adding CAT to it. It's just FISHER. 2nd - Throw the rest of the bird in a cage. Fisher are one of the easiest animals to catch. Any meat will do. 3rd - Before you do it, might want to run it by Encon. As far as I know, it's perfectly legal to protect your birds by eliminating predators, but Fisher have a trapping season, and this isn't it. For a Wildlife guy like myself to go after it for you, I would need a special permit from DEEP, which there's a snowball's chance in hell of getting. They will just say to pen up and secure your birds. But a homeowner can do things on his own without the needed permits. Again, run it by Encon.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Wildlife Division doesn't have the money to turn on the computer and even Email him the permit application. Haha. I agree with Brian. You have the right to protect your birds but you'll cover yourself by calling down to DEEP WD and letting them know what's going on. I'd tell them that you plan to catch it in a cage trap and if they don't want to see it killed, they have to come pick it up. Of course this is assuming anyone at DEEP even knows what a fisher is.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

12 Point
    Thanks guys!! Got it....."Fisher" I'm in Mass. I'm going to contact the EP's

Question......would a mink kill a duck? Or would they just go after the eggs? We see minks all the time on shore along the river across the street from our farm.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Mink will certainly kill ducks and chickens. My first mink was a duck/chicken killer.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Shoot , shovel , shut up.

i was fishing the farmington river saturday and watched a fisher cruising up the bank hunting song birds. Was definately cool to watch. He put on a good show.
    ---==SEMPER-FI==---

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Shoot , shovel , shut up.
    Totally agree. I never got any help from wildlife division on anything.
    Sportsmen will change the future.
    www.BigBearWildlifeControl.org
    Be Green,Buy Fur!