Thread: Force Fetching

12 Point

Force Fetching

Anyone ever force fetched their own dog? Been working on my lab pup for a couple weeks now. I waited until after hunting season was over in case I screwed it up LOL Didn't want her to shut down. It amazes me the response you get from a simple ear pinch. We are moving on to dummy exercises now with the fetch and leave commands. Just wondering at what point you can say the force fetching is complete? Or is this something you do now and then when the dog gets sloppy?

Force Fetch

I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and trained to the best of my ability until I felt I was at a loss and not sure which way to go. I took him to Quinnebaug kennels for additional training. We worked force fetch with the ear pinch and transitioned to e-collar. That was over 5 years ago and to this day whenever I say fetch he picks up whatever asked immediately, the one command that is consistently performed on first command. With that said if you do not continue to work and train the dogs manners will continue to degrade. So short answer I don't think you ever stop you just decrease frequency. Always good to conduct refefresher in summer prior to season.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlloyToy View Post
    Anyone ever force fetched their own dog? Been working on my lab pup for a couple weeks now. I waited until after hunting season was over in case I screwed it up LOL Didn't want her to shut down. It amazes me the response you get from a simple ear pinch. We are moving on to dummy exercises now with the fetch and leave commands. Just wondering at what point you can say the force fetching is complete? Or is this something you do now and then when the dog gets sloppy?

Quote Originally Posted by lilredrglide View Post
    I have a Chesapeake Bay Retriever and trained to the best of my ability until I felt I was at a loss and not sure which way to go. I took him to Quinnebaug kennels for additional training. We worked force fetch with the ear pinch and transitioned to e-collar. That was over 5 years ago and to this day whenever I say fetch he picks up whatever asked immediately, the one command that is consistently performed on first command. With that said if you do not continue to work and train the dogs manners will continue to degrade. So short answer I don't think you ever stop you just decrease frequency. Always good to conduct refefresher in summer prior to season.
    Both of those are spot on!

12 Point
    Great advice!!

I hear Quinnebaug is a great place but too far for me to travel......started force fetching about 4 weeks ago. Incredible response from my pup who turned 1 year old today. We are off the table and on the ground now. I space out a combination of items (dummies, dowels, and even a small bristle brush) I walk her past the items and say "fetch" and instantly she grabs the item and holds it until I say "leave". She also is starting to understand to leave things on the ground that I tell her to. It's a lot of work but a lot of fun

Are you following a program?
    FF is one small part to having a finished dog. I don't know what level you plan
    to take your dog but FF is just a beginning to a competent gundog.

i take Ben to Jennifer at QK too. And she has helped me get Ben to a level I never
    could have achieved on my own. There is so much after FF to a finished dog. And I
    guarantee you, if you go thru casting, T, TT ,FTP, transitions,cold blinds, you are going to
    run into problems that will overwhelm you.

But do get help you are going to need it. Buck Shope is in your area. http://www.swiftriverretrievers.com/index.php
    Have not used him but hear lots of good.

Just got an email from Jen for the Rick Smith seminar. If you can, try to attend.
    Well worth the time/money.
    Last edited by 480/277; 03-21-2016 at 05:05 AM.

Force fetch

We brought outer Pedelpointer to Quinebaug for two- two week sessions, well worth it.

12 Point
    Lotta research, questions, and work but I got it down with Luna our pup! I realized that this is tedious work and a lot of one on one but it pays off. Guys go out and blast geese and ducks on a pond or river then paddle to do their own retrieving in a kayak Nice! Now blast fowl and point and command a dog to do a water retrieve out 40-60 yards using only your command.......now that's hunting!

I have heard of jennifer and lots of good things too far for me to travel

Dogs have a unique love for force fetching the more discipline the more they love you the better they hunt and retrieve