Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2015/2016 Season

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I think the tube traps would be the same, must touch water.
    I think the CTA was trying to get clarification on the rat traps for weasel, that's why I responded. We can't use kill traps on dry ground.

NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    . We can't use kill traps on dry ground.[/QUOTE]

OPPS. Still like my bucket sets.
    Sportsmen will change the future.
    www.BigBearWildlifeControl.org
    Be Green,Buy Fur!

Images
    Hahaha, nice Gregg.

The more I think about it, Brian, the more it makes sense that a simple snap trap would be illegal in this state as far as fur trapping goes. It doesn't particularly have the power to kill much of anything bigger than a weasel, so there should definitely be some clarification on this. Kind of a bummer because it could be an effective set. I'll still give DEP a call today to see what they say. They won't have a clue what I'm talking about...
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

I have called the dep about so many waterfowl spots that are in the gray area, they can never give me a straight answer and usually say they will call me back but never do. I have a bud who is an enconn officer and he cant even give me straight answers, my approach is just go for it until they tell me not to.
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Adam, if you've been to fur sales, you will notice there are hardly ever ermine being sold. I think it's due to the legalities of the set. Try small cages camo'd in the brush.

Images
    Yesterday kicked off the beaver trapping season. Got some 330s and a 750 under a castor mound set in a great spot yesterday. Made it out for the first beaver line check this morning nice and early. One conibear was tripped with nothing to show for it. The others were untouched. Pulled up a solid 30 pounder from the foothold set. First beaver of the season and hopefully the first of many.

Been running a small raccoon line up to this point along with some cages for fisher. Released a couple small raccoons and got those few from early on but other than that I didn't really target the late November raccoons as hard as last year. Had a bear completely destroy on of the cages I had set for fisher. Put a camera on the spot hoping to get the culprit on cam. Deadfall has been inactive except yesterday morning I found it tripped with the bait gone. Checked a nearby camera and a bobcat walked by at 6 o'clock that morning right before I checked the trap. thankfully the trap isnt big enough for anything more than a raccoon ... Cats are quick too react, too, I imagine.

Also got a couple softcatch 550s set in yesterday on my property for coyote. Freezing rain screwed those up the first night. This weekend looking to set for coyote and beaver at a property we have permission to. Things are starting to look good ... It feels just cold enough every morning to make it seem like trapping season.

Also plan to start playing around more with otter sets. Yesterday when setting beaver traps I was able to video three otters playing around and swimming. This seems to be the year of the ofter ... Been seeing them everywhere.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Nice work! I haven't event thought about getting traps in yet, been to busy chasing deer that only like to show up when I'm at work. I'll prob set a few in the coming weeks. Coons are on the move big time around me

I got 3 550s out on private land, nothing yet
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Du Ct View Post
    I got 3 550s out on private land, nothing yet
    Du, did you set ON sign? I mean put a trap right under a coyote track. Or just in a good area? They are not always easy to pull off of a trail, so put it where they are going to step anyway if you can.

Images
    Checked traps this morning and pulled up another beaver. Same set with a 750 under a false castor mound. Front foot catch this time though. No matter. Same size as yesterday. 25 - 30 lbs. Saw an otter on top of a beaver hut. That was awesome. Got two more 750s on drowning rigs put in for beaver and a great set done up for otter. See what tomorrow brings...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.PAWServicesCT.com