Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2015/2016 Season

Images

First Catch Of The Season

Early check in the dark this morning. 37 degrees. Quiet woods. Fresh air. Pure peace.

Snagged a pair of raccoons in a double DP set overnight. Again, just looking for a single to test the the leather. Hopefully these few cold nights have jump started everything. I released the more tame individual that let me get close to hand release it. Dispatched the other quickly and gave the animal thanks. As you all know, I hate waste. This fur will be used regardless. Plan to let it hang on the gambrel and set for a few hours until I can get back. Fire up the fur shed! Hopefully the leather shows that things are on their way in ... I'm itching to get a full line set.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Nice double.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Very nice. I am looking forward to the posts.

bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Raccoon looks great. Big boar! Skinned it out. Tons of fat. See how it starts drying on a board. I'm guessing we are good to go!
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Did some scouting today with WoodsmanA on some properties we have, cant wait to set for beaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Images
    December 1st is going to be one heck of a day... Beavers and coyote open up and the plan is to set hard.

Finally getting a true line out tomorrow. Been seeing a lot of otter this year and some more muskrat sign than in years past. Raccoons are everywhere. Pack basket is loaded up and ready! Been watching this otter for a while now. It seems to be hanging close to the same spot. Extremely playful animal!
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Got ten traps set today. Few DPs and a few sets with 1 1/2 coilsprings. Hopefully the heavy rain coming doesn't screw too much with the water level.

Pretty excited I saw a fisher this evening on my hill coming down a tree. Season opens Friday... I know where I'll be at sunrise that morning...
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    This mornings check produced an opossum in a DP and a tripped 1 1/2 pocket set with nothing to show for it. Read a great article in this months Fur Fish Game about weasel trapping. Got me pretty interested in the little critters so I did some research. Connecticut has both long tail and short tail (ermine) weasels. The short tails being concentrated primarily to the northweat corner of the state. Really cool animals and they're a serious predator for being so small. First attempt at a simple weasel set... Rigged up two rat size snap traps, 6" off the ground with a fresh piece of beaver meat tied to the pan. Fresh meat is the key according to the article. Place them just a couple feet off of one of the stone walls out back. If you all didn't already think I was nuts, maybe now this proves it... Weasel trapping at night in the rain. Haha
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images

UNPADDED METAL TRAP RESTRICTIONS

1. May only be used below the surface of the water in a pond, lake, stream, spring hole, or tidal water.
    2. Opening greater than 5 3/4" is prohibited, except that traps with an opening of up to 7 1/2" may be set for beaver in waters frequented by beaver.

SMOOTH WIRE TRAP RESTRICTIONS

1. May only be used below the surface of the water in a pond, lake, stream, spring hole, or tidal water. Except, smooth wire traps having an opening of 4 3/4" or less may extend above the surface of the water provided a portion of the trap frame remains in contact with the water.

Be careful Adam. That set may actually be illegal.
    And you wrote your info/tag on the back?
    Last edited by TooManyHobbies; 11-19-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    I attached a copper tag to the back side with the wire that goes through it. You really think a basic rat snap trap would be regulated under the smooth wire trap regs? It's Connecticut so I wouldn't be surprised... I really didn't think it'd be an issue at all. Someone else asked me the same thing earlier. It's a stupid rat trap but I don'tT want any issues. I'll take them down until I can get an answer from someone at DEP. Although I'm still unclear on using squirrel tubes partially submerged in the water for mink (a question I had last year and nobody could give me a straight answer) so I'm not so sure they'll know about this either. Thanks Brian.
    www.PAWServicesCT.com