Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2015/2016 Season

Images

Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2015/2016 Season

Well, with last season's fur harvest thread being so successful (60 pages and 70,711 views), I think it's fair to say there is enough interest here on the forum to start up another for the 2015/2016 season. So here it is.

The season starts this Sunday on 11/8. Despite the warm weather we've had for the past week I'm still going to get out there and set a few traps for a "test" raccoon. Three weeks ago I skinned and stretched a raccoon (from work) that still produced black summer leather. Fur looked good. No rubs, no stains, but guard hairs weren't in full of course. We'll see what another one looks like soon. Colder weather returns over night tonight ... finally! Right now I've got my pack basket loaded up with two #1 1/2s coilsprings rigged on cables for pocket sets, two #1 longsprings for muskrat feed sets and four DPs. Got my favorite bait/lure combo for raccoons packed up, too. Looking forward to setting some steel! Got all my traps cleaned and fixed up. Dyed everything a couple weekends ago. Still have to wax the K9 traps and harvest a good lot of dirt to dry out for making coyote sets in December.

Been scouting pretty much all year ... every time I get out there I like to look. I keep a log going which helps to keep things organized in my mind. Got some good beaver locations pinned down. Looking forward to the opener in December for beaver. I don't think many trappers will be targeting beaver this year given the poor prices coming out of the auctions. Beaver trapping is my favorite, though, so I'll be out there for sure. Already got a couple people and a game club lined up for beaver meat.

Also, remember the deadfall competition! Last year it somewhat fell by the wayside.

Good luck and safe trapping to all who make it out. Looking forward to all the stories and pictures that are sure to come!
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Good luck, Adam. I'm not in 'that' mood yet. I did see some fisher and bobcat tracks today, when I came out of the woods. I'd like to catch a cat, even though it would have to be released. I was also eyeing a couple logs that would make a nice deadfall. We'll see.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I be out soon, once it cools a bit. Got some great private land spots
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Got a few red and grey foxes on my deer cams. Haven't seen much fisher this year during bow hunting but did see a few mink. Traps are pretty much ready but I'll probably wait a week or 2 being so warm.

Fur Harvests & Trap Line Talk - 2015/2016 Season

Well Adam, we're waiting... I know you set something at 12:01 haha

He stayed up for the LSU game
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Images
    Haha! Yes maybe I'm that insane... Yesterday afternoon I found the materials for a HEAVY deadfall. I couldn't lift the rock comfortably. Had to role it down the trail a ways. The picture does it no justice for size. I'd peg the weight at 100 lbs believe it or not. Gathered it all up and went out back at midnight with the bait and a little shellfish oil. Set it up and good to go. Just gave it a quick look. Still standing. I'm not particularly concerned with pinning a fisher under it (not in season yet) ... We just don't have the fisher numbers out this way. It's the perfect size and weight for raccoon. Trigger stick and bait are deep under the rock. We'll see what happens.

Made the executive decision to hold off setting a line until we get a little bit of cool weather under our belts. The fur and leather just isn't ready. The ten day forecast has all low 50s and a few days in the high 40s here. Night temps drop to 30s and a few in the upper 20s. A week of that should get things kick started enough to justify setting a line. No sense in trapping poor fur.

For now I plan to keep the deadfall going out back and I'll set a couple DPs and a spring hole set. The only water I have on my property is a small 6' x 6' pool about 8" deep, still being held from the last rain storm. One little deep spot in a rocky runoff creek coming down the hill. It's perfect for a springhole set ... The only caveat, there is no good approach for fox. Just don't think they'd hit it. For now, just looking to trap that one test raccoon. I'll get it on a board and see how the leather turns out. Probably not summer black anymore but still blue for sure. But maybe not ... That'd be nice.

Safe trapping to anyone who decides to set today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Start up the road kill thread, Brian. My bud brought up an RK red fox this morning. Head strike. Hardly any blood. No gut blowout. Was great. Can't believe I got to work with fur on opening day! Haha. Skinned it out nice. Still have to turn the ears and get it on a board. Rolled it and put it in the freezer for now. Fur looks better than expected for the weather having been so warm. Man, working in the new fur shed really got me excited!
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Got a couple DPs set for that test raccoon. Cut some pine plugs to keep bait thiefs out this season.
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Looks like a more effective deadfall than last year. Good luck.
    Nice fox, pretty animals.
    Get yourself some golfballs to put on those DP's, eye appeal and will be easy to find afterwards.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.