Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newcomer

Newcomer

Hello, I'm from CT and just started hunting this week after waiting a few months after finishing hunters ed. So far I've been trying to hunt squirrels in the Newgate WMA and wow its a nice place to hike but so far horrible luck on squirrels. So hard to find up in trees lol. So far been nice and relaxing exploring this area.

For a new time hunter I gladly take any advice for small game and even area recommendations lol. BTW nice to meet everyone.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome aboard.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Welcome to the site and congrats on finishing your hunter safety course.

Are you walking or sitting when squirrel hunting? With this acorn heavy acorn crop make sure you're hunting oaks. You should see them on the ground a lot. They do make squirrel calls you can try that, you can also try walking for a bit sitting for half an hour letting things calm down then walking some more. You might also want to check out some other WMA's or SF that allow hunting in your area.
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home

So far I walk then stop for about 1-5 min listening, scanning the ground then tree trunks and branches. I usually have to stop moving just to try to scan the entire area ><;

Images
    Welcome aboard Kuro. Keep at them tree rats. I used to hunt Newgate WMA for squirrels a bunch when I lived out that way. Been a few years since I've been in there. Stay seated and quiet for a good 30 minutes and let the woods return to normal. The squirrels will show themselves soon enough. Good luck.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

2011 site supporter Balloon Hunter Champion joemichael's Avatar
    Welcome. I've had the best luck early in the morning for squirells when they are most active. Also try sitting at the base of a tree for a little longer, after a while things will pick up. Good luck.
    Aim small, miss small.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome Kuro, just pretend you're deer hunting, squirrels will be climbing your leg.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Welcome to the site and keep after them little buggars. Seems like the only time you see them is when you're hunting something else. I learned a great way to get rid of them during bow hunting for deer...knock a squirrel arrow and they disappear into thin air!!!

Good luck!

Thank you everyone

6 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Welcome Kuro, just pretend you're deer hunting, squirrels will be climbing your leg.
    Seconded, after you're still for a little bit the chipmunks and squirrels all come back. There were two squirrels who kept hitting me and dropping acorns and beech nuts all around me last Sunday morning. Welcome to the site