Thread: Trapping Fisher Cats

Trapping Fisher Cats

Hey guys,
    I'm trying to become a trapper and only have access to dry land trapping. I plan on targeting coyotes and fisher cats this year. Is anyone willing to share pics or advice on fisher cat sets? Right now all I can see doing is setting up a cage trap on a leaning tree. I know it will be tough but I want to give it a shot.
    Thank you for any advice or info.
    Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
    Genesis 27:3

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Cage....Meat....Fisher. It's that easy. Nothing fancy, no leaning poles, just put a cage down and bait it. If your bait ever had blood running through it, it will work. If a fisher is around, you WILL catch it. Plus, the same cage will catch opossum, skunk, coon.
    You will also catch everything in your K9 sets, sometimes even a K9.

And they're NOT CATS. Stop that. FISHER, FISHER, FISHER!
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Haha, where did the "cat" in "fisher cat" ever come from? They aren't in any way related to felines and they don't particularly look like cats.

Anyways, if you're on the west side of the CT river you'll be hard pressed to find fisher sign and ultimately trap one. It's possible. Two were taken from the west side of the state last season. Yes... Only two. Now all them guys who live east of the river, like Brian here, they're swimming in a natural resident population of fishers.

Glad to hear someone is getting into trapping. I just got an Email from the state today with the new form for the state land trapping permit application and it was headed as "Prospective State Land Trappers." There were only 31 people cced in the Email. 31 people eligible this season for a state land permit who trapped state land last year.... Plus any new trappers who get a state permit this year. A dying breed...

If you're stuck with dry land trapping, start searching for woodchuck burrows. Find just one and it'll open up a ton of trap set potential for you in this state. You can add fox and raccoon to your list of potential target animals with burrow sets.
    Last edited by WoodsmanA; 10-09-2015 at 06:24 PM.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Great thank you!

Now then, get your weapons--your quiver and bow--and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.
    Genesis 27:3