Thread: Food For Labs

12 Point

Food For Labs

So many foods out there. Our puppy has been on a special food due to repetitive UTI's.....she should now be mature enough to fight infections and to start eating non prescription food. What are you feeding your labs? The breeder we purchased her from in WI feeds all there dogs grain free foods to keep them fit and nourished for hunting.

So many brands out there it's hard to say what's good and bad.

Images
    Hope your pup is ok. I've fed my lab Eukanuba for six years now. Never an issue. She's happy, healthy and extremely energetic all the time. Good coat, too. Never had a weight problem either. One cup in the morning plus one and a half cups at night seems to meet her needs. She gets a raw bone twice a month as well.

Should also add that I will feed her canned Blue Buffalo food every now and again just to give her some variety. And whenever we have chicken and veggies or chicken and rice she gets some of that.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by WoodsmanA; 08-31-2015 at 03:34 PM.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Both my labs are on Blue Buffalo Wilderness Dry. Dogs do great on it. Good coats, healthy p[plenty of energy, etc. Check out http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/ Plenty of good information, food reviews, recall information - including alert emails.

Like with anything else, you will get tons of different opinions on food and most are pretty good. It gets tricky when the dog has dietary issues.

Good luck!
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

Images
    My 7 month old German Shepherd Krieger gets Blue Buffalo and venison every meal.
    He's 71 lbs already, solid as a rock, and tons of energy. He's a high drive dog too.

My last Shepherd had the same food and he lived to 15.

20150823_085726.jpg
    The Will Can Not Be Broken

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodsmanA View Post
    Hope your pup is ok. I've fed my lab Eukanuba for six years now. Never an issue. She's happy, healthy and extremely energetic all the time. Good coat, too. Never had a weight problem either. One cup in the morning plus one and a half cups at night seems to meet her needs. She gets a raw bone twice a month as well.

Should also add that I will feed her canned Blue Buffalo food every now and again just to give her some variety. And whenever we have chicken and veggies or chicken and rice she gets some of that.
    my god your dog looks like my pups older brother/sister thanks guys where do ya'll purchase your food?? went to petco and got porked my breeder said out west they have food co-ops for hunting clubs where they buy food at a more reasonable price

some beautiful dogs here

CTHS Supporter
    Images
    my dog isnt a pure bred but he gets either nutro or blue buffalo when he was younger he ate the lamb and rice but i've had to switch him this yr to chicken/salmon formulas after he decided he didnt like the lamb anymore. our vet said that lamb and venison get harder for them to digest as they get older and probably why he stopped eating the lamb. we usually buy at petco also but you got to shop smart for their food its expensive my wife is always cutting coupons and if theres a good sale we sometimes buy 2 bags at a time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Pro-plan

I have fed my dogs Purina Proplan (unshredded only) for years with good results. BTW, I buy my dog food from Chewy (http://www.chewy.com/). The price is great, shipping is free if you buy $49+ (a couple of large bags or a large bag and some other stuff), and my order is delivered within a couple of days and sometimes even the next day when I place it early enough. They carry a number of brands including Blue Buffalo.

X2 on dog food adviser

chewy.com is good too

I feed canidae pure sea. It was cheaper at my local feed store!

lots of great foods out there, but you may have to go through a few because not every dog is going to do well on every food. No matter how my dog does on it.

Other good foods
    Fromms, Orijen, Dr. Tims,Merrick

If you can afford it, I would go with a raw diet. I've fed mine that since he was a puppy. Vet rants and raves about how much everyone's dog should look like mine in aspect of weight. Mark at thomaston feed was a lab breeder and his dogs are awesome looking. Raw also cures alot of medical issues with dogs.