Thread: Deer processing after harvest

Banned

Deer processing after harvest

What do y'all suggest once you got your trophy out the woods.. Do you leave the skin on while your hanging it or do you take the skin off and hang it?? How long do you suggest hanging it or should i just skin and butcher it that same day... reason why i ask this i always hear conflicting stories..some don't like leaving skin on cause it keeps heat in and has oils that make the meat gamey? I also herd sawing threw bone while butchering or field harvesting will cause a gamey taste as well... or is this all bro talk advice I'm getting?...... bow hunting deer by the way

Images
    Some of this depends on your circumstances and schedule. I prefer to skin it right away - just easier to me. Letting it hang all depends on my schedule and the weather - nothing to do with anything else. Early season I usually jump on butchering it right away or at least get it broken down into manageable pieces (put in the fridge) and work on the final butchering as time allows. I debone everything so very little sawing going on. Been doing it this way for over 20 years.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

8 Point
    Hoyt Charger
    Remington 870SPS Super Mag
    T/C Venture Weather Shield 7mm-08, CVA Optima V2 50Cal

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    I skin ASAP and get it in cooler. Especially in early (warm) season.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

I pretty much do the same thing as passinthru mentioned. The only time I hang deer for a prolonged amount of time is once temperatures get down to just below 40 degrees and holds steadily. I've hear that deer that has been hung for a longer amount of time tastes better/more tender but I've never really noticed. Since I don't have a walk in cooler or access to one and the temperatures fluctuate so much in New England I usually play it safe and quarter the deer and throw it in totes in the fridge. I will say that the longer you hang a skinned deer, the more surface of the meat you will have to trim off that has dried and blackened.

Images
    Kill a few deer and try different ways. You'll find what works for you and you like best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home

Talking

You should hang up the deer, then proceed to skin it
    will not have big problem with aging meats and bones, but with the internal organs you need to clean them before putting them in a ice box for storage and take it home
    You can refer to this article
    How to Butcher Process a Deer After the Kill
    I think it will be useful to you

I've had venison that was hung for over 1 week and I've had venison that wasn't hung at all. I cant honestly say I felt there was a noticeable difference. Biggest impact on quality is how its cooked as far as I'm concerned. That said, if conditions permit, I will hang a deer in my barn for at least several days prior to the butchering. It doesn't hurt and I get to look at it longer.
    That said, I do firmly believe that meat needs to rest for 1 day minimum prior to putting it in the freezer or eating it.

Check out https://catchthemeasy.com/how-to-process-a-deer/, it has a small little guide to processing the deer.