Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sunday ban lifted on bow hunting for deer

Quote Originally Posted by MTN_Infantry View Post
    Based on this I think we as hunters need to have a discussion with the state's wildlife biologist and talk to them about their goals and management practices.
    That is an excellent idea.

I don't think there was a part of the sunday hunting that lets you shoot an extra deer, just because you are hunting on sunday the limit are still the same, but sunday does let a hunter that works 6 days a week the chance to do something that he or she might not get the chance to do

Images
    We as hunters need to have conservation at the forefront of our outdoor lives at all times. Agreed that we need to talk with the state wildlife biologists... The current approach to deer population management and conservation, in my opinion, makes absolutely no sense. Use the current zones to better restrict or loosen bag limits. Each area should be treated differently based on more than just harvest reports and hunter surveys. We are all smart guys and gals here, it wouldn't be that hard to figure out more appropriate, scientifically-backed bag limits for each zone. Yeah, I get it... Not everyone shoots nine deer a year and limits out. Very few do. But when the herd is extremely limited in some spots vs a population explosion in Fairfield county, for example, the management approach needs to change. I'm not on the up and up as to what other states do to manage their herds, but perhaps we can look into other conservation ideas to bring to the table in a talk with the biologists?
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Screw deer hunting woodsmanA.... Bring on the honkers and the Odin crows
    "When it comes your time to die, sing your death song and die like a hero going home." Tecumseh

Images
    Have to get at least one deer in the freezer each year! No more Sh!t meat from the stores... That's the goal this year.

Sundays will help for me. I'd rather be out birding on Saturdays, so Sunday just became my deer day.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hooks View Post
    I don't think there was a part of the sunday hunting that lets you shoot an extra deer, just because you are hunting on sunday the limit are still the same, but sunday does let a hunter that works 6 days a week the chance to do something that he or she might not get the chance to do
    The bag limits shouldn't increase because of the extra day. I think the discussion was about the number of deer harvested will increase. For the weekend only hunter who works Mon-Fri it's doubling the amount of days they can be in the woods.

Mallard: You can currently buy both state and private land ML tags, the season dates are a little different (State Land ends sooner)
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home

I'm glad to have the opportunity on Sunday with the bow. You guys make some great points. Being a relative newbie to the sport, I can't relate to some of my mentors who talk about the number of deer that USED to be around. I've put in some serious time in the last three years, and have had only three outings seeing more than one deer at a sit. Granted, I may have some lousy areas, but with the bow, you still have to hit 'em. Much more challenging than the gun. I've been on a crop damage this year and just got one after 40 hours put in. First one I'd seen closer than 200yds. If I had the bow, never would have gotten it. Hopefully, all in all, it will be a good thing for our families, the sport and the hunters.
    Bowtech invasion. Port sider. Any ride taking less than 20 mins to the tree stand, perfect! Www.scarritt.com nothing quite like a soak in a hot tub after a bone chilling day in the woods.