Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Sunday ban lifted on bow hunting for deer

  1. #11
    CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,270
    Images
    1
    It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out going forward. In the last 9 years or so since I have been hunting in Connecticut the deer population has been reduced from 120,000 to 60,000 deer according to a DEEP biologist. Now by adding Sundays they have effectively extended the season by another two weeks; close to 3 weeks if you add in the January season for Zones 11 and 12. It makes me wonder what the population goal is.

    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

  2. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter View Post
    It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out going forward. In the last 9 years or so since I have been hunting in Connecticut the deer population has been reduced from 120,000 to 60,000 deer according to a DEEP biologist. Now by adding Sundays they have effectively extended the season by another two weeks; close to 3 weeks if you add in the January season for Zones 11 and 12. It makes me wonder what the population goal is.
    Will be interesting to see the numbers after the first year. I've always been in amazement that I can take four deer with a bow and two more with a rifle, and two more with a muzzleloader. Wow...that's a lot of deer! IMO, I think they should reduce the number of deer you can take. I think this has been discussed before, but given the new Sunday inclusion, it might actually make a difference.

    Anyway...thanks for making me think...I was hoping not to have to do that on a Sunday!!

  3. #13
    10 Point Mallard870's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northeastern CT
    Posts
    391
    With the amount of deer this state let's you shoot, it seems like they want to get rid of em. There is the possibility of taking 9 deer total in non-management zones. I'm not saying Sunday bowhunting won't increase the bow harvest rate, I just think that the allowance to decrease the population already existed before the law was passed. All we can do is hope that there are other reasonable sportsmen out there that won't kill more than they need. Either that or give a proposal to DEEP to reduce the previous tag amounts. If you somehow managed to tag out with a shotgun on state, rifle, and muzzleloader on private, that's 5 less deer in CT. The state needs to take a look at the amount of deer tags as a whole and not just bow.

  4. #14
    6 Point
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Central CT
    Posts
    109
    Here is an annual report dep produces every year about the deer harvest. It's all the stats collected throughout the deer hunting season. From how many permits are issued to Hunter success in each town during muzzloader season as well as results from the hour long Hunter phone survey when reporting by phone. Good stuff if your a deer nerd

    http://www.ct.gov/deep/cwp/view.asp?...av_GID=1633%20

    2014 should be out shortly. I usually email dep in late summer and it always seems to appear on their web site a few days later.

  5. #15
    Am I correct thinking Sunday bow hunting will be allowed during the firearms seasons ?

  6. #16
    CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,270
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
    Am I correct thinking Sunday bow hunting will be allowed during the firearms seasons ?
    Thats my understanding.
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

  7. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    Wow...that's a lot of deer!
    My friends and family in 'fly over country' where they have very low take limits and often antler restrictions are amamzed at how many you can take just with a bow.

  8. #18
    14 pointer MTN_Infantry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Northeast, CT
    Posts
    1,360
    Images
    3
    Not trying to turn this into a pissing match but I'd venture to say if you hunt every season possible outside of management zones you can take more than 9 - think state land and private

    4- Archery (replacement tags in zones 11 & 12)
    2- Private Land Muzzleloader (except 4a) (1 additional for zone 7, and 2 additional plus replacement tags in zones 11 & 12)
    2- Private Land Rifle/Shotgun (except 4a) (1 additional for zone 7, and 2 additional plus replacement tags in zones 11 & 12)
    1- Stateland Shotgun (can be more depending on controlled hunts)
    1- Stateland Muzzleloader
    2- Landowner (if you Qualify)

    Based on this I think we as hunters need to have a discussion with the state's wildlife biologist and talk to them about their goals and management practices. I know we have guys that take more deer than this and less deer. It all comes down to where you hunt and what property you have access to. I personally would love to see the state manage the deer herd to improve the buck to doe ratio. If done right it may even bring in revenue for the state. They can do this with antler restrictions and reducing the number of bucks one can harvest/capping the number of deer someone can harvest per year except in certain management zones.
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home

  9. #19
    CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Western Massachusetts
    Posts
    5,270
    Images
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by MTN_Infantry View Post
    Not trying to turn this into a pissing match but I'd venture to say if you hunt every season possible outside of management zones you can take more than 9 - think state land and private

    4- Archery (replacement tags in zones 11 & 12)
    2- Private Land Muzzleloader (except 4a) (1 additional for zone 7, and 2 additional plus replacement tags in zones 11 & 12)
    2- Private Land Rifle/Shotgun (except 4a) (1 additional for zone 7, and 2 additional plus replacement tags in zones 11 & 12)
    1- Stateland Shotgun (can be more depending on controlled hunts)
    1- Stateland Muzzleloader
    2- Landowner (if you Qualify)

    Based on this I think we as hunters need to have a discussion with the state's wildlife biologist and talk to them about their goals and management practices. I know we have guys that take more deer than this and less deer. It all comes down to where you hunt and what property you have access to. I personally would love to see the state manage the deer herd to improve the buck to doe ratio. If done right it may even bring in revenue for the state. They can do this with antler restrictions and reducing the number of bucks one can harvest/capping the number of deer someone can harvest per year except in certain management zones.
    Connecticut Deer Population, Bow Hunting Increases To Highest Levels In State March 28, 2014 CTNow.com... experts believe Connecticut's deer population has dropped from an estimated peak of 126,000 eight years ago... Hunters like Newtown's Glen Ekstrom agree that Connecticut's deer population is down ... . He thinks it may now be "a hair under" 60,000 animals...
    Eventually what will happen is that as the deer herd continues to fall so will the license sales. In order to keep the revenue stream up the license fees will go up. I already know a couple Mass hunters that no longer hunt Connecticut.

    The Sunday hunting will create a spike in license sales, and revenue, in the short term but adding several weeks of high pressure hunting will only accelerate the slide.

    JMO

    Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

  10. #20
    10 Point Mallard870's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Northeastern CT
    Posts
    391
    You're correct about it being more than 9. I was excluding any earn a tag type deal, so no 11/12 or controlled hunts, just the bare essentials. With those the amount of tags seems almost endless.
    I didn't include muzzleloader on state because I thought I remember only being able to purchase state or private. Are you able to buy both?

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •