Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinking About A Lab

12 Point
    Does anyone have experience with a male vs female for hunting? I've read the males can take a bit more than the females as far as how tough the hunting conditions are but I've also seen some female labs work extremely hard in the field. So much of the stuff I read online is opinionated it's not even funny........seems everyone has a answer for why not to go with a certain breed or color

Images
    You are making this way more difficult then it is. Get what you want!!!

I've had 3 males (2 gsp, 1lab) and 1 female (lab) and honestly early on I wanted males just because I thought at some point I might like a pup from them and didn't want to deal with the females - no other reason. I wanted another female lab but the family didn't want to wait so we have a young male. Is one sex better then the other, beats me but I do believe it comes down to your preference. If you can, take what ever sex you can get this makes your breeder choices easier probably. especially when on waiting lists. Also if you get a good breeder with good hunting lines you should be fine no matter what. It will come down to time spent training and in the field.

I've read females learn quicker, males are more stubborn. Females don't have the same drive as males, etc. I know my female will go all out for a retrieve still and she is almost 9. I didn't over think color, sex, as far as hunting. I love chocolates, many hunters prefer blacks. It goes on and on and on. If you pick a good breeder and get what YOU want you'll be fine.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

12 Point
    Quote Originally Posted by passinthru63 View Post

I've had 3 males (2 gsp, 1lab) and 1 female (lab) and honestly early on I wanted males just because I thought at some point I might like a pup from them and didn't want to deal with the females - no other reason. I wanted another female lab but the family didn't want to wait so we have a young male. Is one sex better then the other, beats me but I do believe it comes down to your preference. If you can, take what ever sex you can get this makes your breeder choices easier probably. especially when on waiting lists. Also if you get a good breeder with good hunting lines you should be fine no matter what. It will come down to time spent training and in the field.

I've read females learn quicker, males are more stubborn. Females don't have the same drive as males, etc. I know my female will go all out for a retrieve still and she is almost 9. I didn't over think color, sex, as far as hunting. I love chocolates, many hunters prefer blacks. It goes on and on and on. If you pick a good breeder and get what YOU want you'll be fine.
    I totally agree I've narrowed it down to Country Side Retrievers in WI....she has treated me well.

I have spoke to all kinds of breeders. Some very helpful, and some very arrogant. Some of these breeders really make you feel like a complete azzzzz I've gone into this explaining to almost all of them that this is new to me. Some explain in depth and some make you feel like you are wasting their time......

The group of you guys here have been extremely helpful. Thank you!!

Quote Originally Posted by passinthru63 View Post

What he said!

12 Point
    Sent in my deposit for a liter of chocolates due in mid March in WI. Spoke extensively with Brad at "Field Of Dreams Kennels" and love the genes of both the mom and dad. Dad is a big upland hunter

http://www.fieldofdreamskennels.com/index.asp?ID=49

Can't wait until she arrives.....

12 Point
    Do you guys have your dogs chipped??? Have you ever had to use it?

CTHS Supporter
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AlloyToy View Post
    Do you guys have your dogs chipped??? Have you ever had to use it?
    yes my pup is chipped even though hes a rescue. imo worth it because if they ever get lost or stolen and then found, then scanned its far easier to find the rightful owner.

My two cent would be to have the basic commands down before I move on to anything else.

Just think about when you been out bird hunting only to have someone else's dog being a couple fields away from their master as this dog puts up a bird that your dog should have gotten but was not there yet.

I have had both male and females, I found that females will protect my wife and kids faster then a male that mother instinct kicks in. This is not to say a male won't do it too.

As for Intelligence between the two, it is a coin toss.

Just my thoughts

12 Point
    Getting close now....anyone have any pigeons they want to sell??? Looking to get her started quickly on birds.

12 Point
    She arrived Long trip from WI but she did well.

Was able to get some Quail from Bordeaux Farm, and started her on them right away. She did her first retrieve with a live quail last night. Funny stuff watching her follow the scent trail, flush the bird, chase it down and grab it and return to my hand. Very happy with her "Luna"
    Attached Images Attached Images