Thread: First with the Muzzleloader

First with the Muzzleloader

It's been a good year for me, and I've been having fun this year. I've put a LOT of time in the woods. Had some success with the new bow, took a deer with my new 6.8SPC AR, and I finally put one down with my muzzleloader tonight. I bought my wife a TC ProHunter 20ga shotgun a couple of years ago when she showed interest in deer hunting. I figured that that was my best chance to get a muzzleloader, so I bought a 50cal Bergara barrel. It sat in the safe the first year, and I sighted it in and hunted with it twice the second year. This is my first time out with it this year and really just wanted to get something down with it.

Hit a property that we've stayed out of for most of the season, just due to putting time into other places. I sat there a week ago with the rifle and had three deer feed up out of the valley around last light. I passed on them, only because I thought the third one in the thickets might be carrying bones on the head. Not the case, and the little one made me. They worked their way off, and I walked out.

Went back to the same spot anticipating the same feed pattern, and around prior to last light I look across the valley and see deer feeding my way. Led by the little one again as she walked to my left about 35 yards and just past me. The two bigger doe fed straight at me making it to about 50 yards. The little one made me again and bounded back into the valley. The two bigger ones saw this and started to turn to leave. The first doe took a couple of steps and stopped right in my crosshairs and I pulled the trigger. Cloud of smoke and I watch the three bound off. Had me wondering, but I see the third one start to walk, and then tip over. Pretty cool to say the least.

1 1/2 year old doe...hell of a drag up out of the valley. Dressed her up on the flats, and as it got dark, the other two eventually came out of the valley and crossed 20 yards in front of me. Had my headlamp on...and they just walked right by.

No pics...sorry. Just a dead doe, but fun none the less. Might try to get a good set of antlers on the ground, or I may just shift gears and start going after the dogs. Plenty of them running around. This doe goes to a co-worker. Between NY and CT, Ive put 5 on the ground, which is by far the most I've ever taken in a year. Finally starting to feel like I belong in CT! Thanks for reading...I know I get to typing and can't stop sometimes!

6 Point
    Congratulations on the take.

Images
    Congrats! Muzzleloader season is my favorite by far. It's so peaceful in the deer woods in December.
    Licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operator
    www.PAWServicesCT.com

Images
    Congrats again on your first muzzleloader deer!

Didn't know you had a Bergera barrel. They are nice barrels, I think they stopped making them for TC Encores. I've been looking for a blued one for an older frame I have kicking around. What did you end up using for a bullet?

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Congrats Scott. I was out with my ML for a couple hours this morning and about 2 1/2 this afternoon. Nada.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Congrats on your first muzzleloader deer , next year I'm gonna try to get into it
    You don't always know where you stand
    'Til you know that you won't run away

Quote Originally Posted by Dive4Blood View Post
    Congrats again on your first muzzleloader deer!

Didn't know you had a Bergera barrel. They are nice barrels, I think they stopped making them for TC Encores. I've been looking for a blued one for an older frame I have kicking around. What did you end up using for a bullet?
    Bullet was the Barnes TMZ. Bought the barrel from a place that does custom work on the factory Bergera barrels (Mike Bellm at www.bellmtcs.com). He makes sure everything is tight when marrying it up to the TC base. Pretty impressed with the product.

Try him out...he might be able to help you.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by S2H View Post
    Bullet was the Barnes TMZ. Bought the barrel from a place that does custom work on the factory Bergera barrels (Mike Bellm at www.bellmtcs.com). He makes sure everything is tight when marrying it up to the TC base. Pretty impressed with the product.

Try him out...he might be able to help you.
    Nice.... I just switched to the Barnes this season. I bought an extra strength hammer spring from bellm before. He was out of those barrels last time I checked.

Images
    Congrats on your first muzzleloader deer ,
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

Images
    Way to go on the deer, always nice to get one with the ML!