Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth hunting after the rut?

Banned

Is it worth hunting after the rut?

If so then what would be a solid approach?

Yes, hit those winter food sources

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Heck yeah. Late season can be great. Does will group up again, as will bucks. A second rut should happen in another 2 weeks or so. Snow (if we get any more) will show travel routes.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

8 Point
    Biggest bucks I ever killed was in December. Bucks are run down they need to eat and put the weight back on. Also less hunting pressure because a lot of guys don't hunt the bitter cold temps. My favorite time to hunt is late season.

Same with me ROB I've killed more bucks in September and december. Look for food, they'll be there. Especially late season...cedar trees and whatever is left for acorns. December 20th always seems to be 2nd rut by me

Images
    Hell Yeah!
    Lots of good hunting left as the pressure decreases and they get back to winter survival mode.
    Have you ever hunted in January? You can set your watch by the doe groups once you find them. They just feed and move to sunny slopes to chew their cud. You can learn a lot about deer movement on your property following tracks on the snow.

My first deer, after a roller coaster first season in 2012, was taken on Dec 31st. It's never too late. I'll be hunting the last day too for sure!

Keep at it!
    Bowtech invasion. Port sider. Any ride taking less than 20 mins to the tree stand, perfect! Www.scarritt.com nothing quite like a soak in a hot tub after a bone chilling day in the woods.

Images

yes

I love muzzleloader season , especially if there's snow ... fun to track and stalk . Had a blast last year . Shot several times on different days and ended up with a 7 point.
    "I wanna know how many homeless people PETA has fed"

Quote Originally Posted by TooManyHobbies View Post
    Heck yeah. Late season can be great. Does will group up again, as will bucks. A second rut should happen in another 2 weeks or so. Snow (if we get any more) will show travel routes.
    Yep.. my cam says they are grouping up again!

Images
    No, let me know where you saw them all year and give me a slip I'll watch their front door for you and let them know when they come out from behind their nice warm fireplace.

Is your next question going to be is it worth hunting in the rain or snow. Their animals living outside, if you can legally be in the woods then go hunting, they have to be somewhere and by spending the time in the woods you'll get to know the animals in the area you hunt and how to better hunt them based on their habits and patterns for certain times of the year, weather conditions, based off food, pressure, dog walkers, ect
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home