Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Designated Deer Bowhunting Only Area - Mansfield Hollow Lake

Designated Deer Bowhunting Only Area - Mansfield Hollow Lake

Can I hunt something other than deer with a firearm in this area?

In other words, does this regulation clearly means "if you hunt deer you have to do it with a bow", but does it also mean "You can't hunt anything other than deer here"?

Thanks for all the help!

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Found this on the CT DEEP site. Deer is bow only.

Mansfield Hollow Lake
    - 2,012 acres
    Designated Deer Bowhunting Only Area

View Interactive Map
    View PDF Map (6 pages 3.2mb)
    Types of Hunting: Pheasant, Small Game, Waterfowl, Spring Turkey, Fall Archery(Deer/Turkey), Fall Firearms Turkey
    Hunting Area Reporting Code: 255
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

It means you can only hunt deer with a bow. You can still small game hunt with a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by EnCon Police View Post
    It means you can only hunt deer with a bow. You can still small game hunt with a firearm.
    Is that true with other bow hunting only areas? I hunt one spot that was changed to bow only a few years ago, just a small parcel so not in the book as its own area. I ask because I used to turkey hunt there with a shotgun and would love to so so again.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mallard870 View Post
    Is that true with other bow hunting only areas? I hunt one spot that was changed to bow only a few years ago, just a small parcel so not in the book as its own area. I ask because I used to turkey hunt there with a shotgun and would love to so so again.
    Some areas are bow hunting for deer only. Look up the area you are talking about on the DEEP website.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

You need to check the description for the area. There are some that are archery deer only with no other hunting available. Mansfield Hollow is one that is listed archery deer but still allows for small game and turkey hunting.

It's not a specific WMA listed in the book. I guess it would be concidered pachaug state forest. I will continue to only bow hunt it. My one other question would be if it is legal to spring turkey bow hunt in areas that are bow only. Since the season is labeled spring turkey firearms most areas that are designated bow only will only allow for fall turkey archery and archery deer. I figure as long as you're using a bow in a designated bow hunting area for spring Turkey it would be fine. Its just the way the season is written it doesn't have a separate season like fall does so archery only areas cannot list spring turkey as a hunting option.

Spring turkey bow Hunting on Designated Deer Bow Hunting Only Areas

I know this was an old thread but I'm hoping Econn can clarify. From reading the previous responses we only addressed small game firearms/archery hunting in designated deer bow only spots. Since spring turkey is its own season some areas are marked as spring turkey no. Could one spring turkey archery hunt these areas? Most of them specify fall turkey archery as legal and since spring doesn't have a separate archery season the area is designated no for spring turkey. Seems like an oversight for people who spring turkey hunt with archery equipment.

As mentioned, that info is available on the DEEP site. It will say what can be hunted. We kill most of our geese in a deer bowhunting only area because it also specifies small game, waterfoul and pheasant by permit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mallard870 View Post
    I know this was an old thread but I'm hoping Econn can clarify. From reading the previous responses we only addressed small game firearms/archery hunting in designated deer bow only spots. Since spring turkey is its own season some areas are marked as spring turkey no. Could one spring turkey archery hunt these areas? Most of them specify fall turkey archery as legal and since spring doesn't have a separate archery season the area is designated no for spring turkey. Seems like an oversight for people who spring turkey hunt with archery equipment.

The info on the deep site specifies exactly that. Click on hunting, then #2 for hunting area maps. Search out the area you are interested in. When you click on the area it will specify that. For example, where we hunt geese is not a spring turkey area. It is a fall archery area though, and its my understanding that fall turkey is ok with archery but not with firearms.
    Why you can hunt fall turkey with archery and not spring turkey is beyond me.