Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long to hang a deer after field dressed it?

Banned

How long to hang a deer after field dressed it?

How long do you recommend? Ive herd from couple ol timers to do a week if temps are right out side high 30s mid 40s area.. but ive seen people skin and butcher it the next day. so whats a ideal time?

Images
    I personally hang mine on average of 7 days,,,but its because I can,,,,,,,,I use a walkin cooler that the temps are set at 34 to 40 degrees. And yes the mussle breaks down with this length of time at the controlled temps which inreturn give my family some truly savorey tender meat. I know of family up north that hang even longer.
    Genesis 27:3--Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Mine get cut up on Sundays. Shoot Monday, cut Sunday. Shoot Sat. cut Sun. I can't tell the difference from one day to one week. Hung in cooler.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    I cut mine up the next day. If left in perfect climactic conditions you may be able to get the cuts slightly more tender, but you can't age venison like beef due to the lack of fat to break down in the meat. The proper gutting, handling, and cooking are far more important. If you don't have the perfect environment for hanging a deer you're doing more harm than good.

Anyone who thinks you can't alter the taste and tenderness from hangin Time has not done it. I hang mine for at least a week and a half you don't need 40 degrees to hang them, ill leave em in my garage for a week in 50-60 temps even tho the garage stays cooler and obviously has no light penetration, after that il let them hang another week in my butchers cooler the only reason I don't leave them there the whole time is he's a friend and does alot of deer and I don't wanna block space in his cooler. Belive me hang one for two weeks and take your steaks out of it the. Cut one up the day or day after you shoot it cook them side by side I gurantee you notice a huge difference. I'm not talkin about marinading and all that I don't eat things that I have to work to make taste good if that was the case I would keep bluefish for more than shark chum.

We hang a minamum of 3 to 4 weeks when the dry blood on the ribs stArt to grow mold then we think about butchering.im from the school longer is better same thing as prime aged beef.
    Member Team Empty Hull

Quote Originally Posted by boulder bass View Post
    We hang a minamum of 3 to 4 weeks when the dry blood on the ribs stArt to grow mold then we think about butchering.im from the school longer is better same thing as prime aged beef.

Im with ya dude my old man was from Ohio I've met family friend old timers that would hang them until they turned black butcher them and cut the rotted stuff off. I was very young last time I ate deer meat from any of them but I don't ever remmember not wanting seconds

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by recurvehunter79 View Post
    Immediately
    X2 quarter it an keep it in the fridge and work at it until it's done.

Banned
    Images

hang time

1-4 days for me, average of 2 days. Meat taste great to me.A buddy of mine hangs his for 6-10 days ,meat breaks down as time goes by and tenderness pertudes. But its 1-4 for me. I hang mine outside so the weather plays a roll in my hang time.