Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Serving migratory waterfowl at game dinners

Serving migratory waterfowl at game dinners

Just an FYI - some info that was just received from the USF&W Service. I know several of you set up or participate in game dinners and didn't know if you were aware of this or not and I didn't want anyone getting jammed up over it.

USF&W got a question as to whether waterfowl can legally be served at game dinners. The short answer is that if the dinner includes migratory waterfowl (only waterfowl that are listed pursuant to the MBTA) on the menu and any fee is charged, (even if the fee is called a "donation") to attend the dinner, it would constitute an unlawful sale under the provisions of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

It is a violation of the MBTA to sell, offer for sale, barter or offer to barter any migratory bird or their parts or to take any migratory bird by any means whatsoever with the intent to sell, offer to sell, barter or offer to barter is deemed a felony under the MBTA.

Images
    Thanks for sharing Capt. Everyone should share this with their Fish and game clubs.
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    This is federal so I assume that it applies to all states; correct?

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Other wild game is illegal to sell too?

Anyone else not agree with this?

8 Point
    Images
    Think its time WE THE PEOPLE make a revision in the Federal Law concerning game dinner migratory bird menu. Let's say Canadian geese need to be on more menu's.

Yup another federal bull **** rule.
    Member Team Empty Hull

I think many of regulations are foolish but in this case I think it is a pretty good rule. We need to keep wild game out commerce and if leads to a minor inconvenience so be it. Consider the history of waterfowl hunting. We think in terms of highly regulated sports hunting (bag limits, seasons, etc.)which does not permit the trafficking of wild game. But we need to think about the implications of allowing wild game to be sold for consumption. A hundred years ago market hunting decimated our waterfowl population and contributed to the extinction of the passenger pigeon (the last one died in 1914), at one time the most numerous bird in the US. If wild waterfowl can be used for club game dinners, why can't it be served as game in restaurants, say for special dinners or events labelled as fund raisers?

Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter View Post
    This is federal so I assume that it applies to all states; correct?

Bob
    Yes, it's the Migratory Bird Act.

Images
    yup, we will serve it for free........ plates and silverware will be $25 per head

Forkhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by CT-Hunter View Post
    I think many of regulations are foolish but in this case I think it is a pretty good rule. We need to keep wild game out commerce and if leads to a minor inconvenience so be it.
    I agree. Thank you for your comment.