Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Serving migratory waterfowl at game dinners

I know this is an older post, but updated information was recently received

Quote Originally Posted by EnCon Police View Post
    Just an FYI - some info that was just received from the USF&W Service. I know several of you set up or participate in game dinners and didn't know if you were aware of this or not and I didn't want anyone getting jammed up over it.

USF&W got a question as to whether waterfowl can legally be served at game dinners. The short answer is that if the dinner includes migratory waterfowl (only waterfowl that are listed pursuant to the MBTA) on the menu and any fee is charged, (even if the fee is called a "donation") to attend the dinner, it would constitute an unlawful sale under the provisions of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.

It is a violation of the MBTA to sell, offer for sale, barter or offer to barter any migratory bird or their parts or to take any migratory bird by any means whatsoever with the intent to sell, offer to sell, barter or offer to barter is deemed a felony under the MBTA.

When our club reseached this issue, your post was the only relevant one, and had us concerned of our plan to serve goose at our game dinner. We asked the same question from USFW recently (02/27/18) and received a different response and thought it was important to share in case other clubs come across the same question and google the topic, see question and response below:

Good morning, I belong to a gun club and we have a game dinner fundraiser once per year like most clubs. Looking ahead to our January 2019 dinner I brought up serving goose as one of our courses to get some variety of game. A few on our members pointed out that may be a violation of the Migratory Bird Act. This proposed goose dish would be one course of five or six courses served.
    My question is if this indeed would be a violation since we do sell tickets to eat?
    I am the current president of the club and want to make sure we donít break any laws

RESPONSE RECEIVED:
    Thank you for contacting the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.​ So long as ​goose was legally harvested, it would not be in violation of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
    Regards,
    Customer Service Center - Tier II
    U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

Not sure why they changed their response to the question, but this is the latest response from USFW and we also contacted the CTDDEEP forwarding the USFW response and got confirmation that it was valid.

I know a lot of game dinners that have goose meat in various forms.
    I would think its a violation if you are taking goose meat and handing it to someone in exchange for money. But it is, at the least, a bit gray when you have various game dishes out on a table at a game dinner and charge $X to get in the door. Your not specifically charging to eat the goose, though I guess indirectly.

If the law wanted to bag someone for serving goose at a game dinner, they wouldn't have to look far. And we would hear about such things.