Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading to UCONN, looking to keep hunting this fall!Any help Appreciated!

Heading to UCONN, looking to keep hunting this fall!Any help Appreciated!

Hello!

I'm Chris. I'm a Massachusetts native whose heading to the University of Connecticut Storrs this fall. I've been hunting for a few years now and really would like to continue to do something during my time in college, whether it just be trap shooting or coyote hunting.

I tried to get into a bow hunter safety class but I didn't make the cut so it looks like I will be gun hunting instead. I'm familiar with turkey hunting and deer but I'd like to explore more options like waterfowl or coyote hunting. Does anyone know the Storrs/Mansfield/Willimantic? Any input or help would be awesome!

Thanks!

Mansfield Hollow is pretty close ride down Route 195 for you. Check out the CT DEEP site with the public land maps.

http://www.depdata.ct.gov/wildlife/m....asp?deepNav=|

Also, plenty of farms around the area if you could get access to them. I believe there is a decent archery club there that shoots in one of the Ag Arena buildings.

Just wondering but if you are heading in as a freshman, are you planning on living on campus? How are you planning on storing your gun?

Thanks CamoCatcher8!

My mom's boyfriend lives about 15-20 minutes from the campus and I believe he has a firearms permit. There too is a gun club about the same distance that helps with the shooting/pistol club by keeping the students' pistols there so I intend to talk more with the club once school starts the 22nd.

One of those should work but if something comes up, my family lives right outside of Worcester in MA so it's only an hour drive back. I'm still trying to figure everything out.

Perfect. Good to see you have your options covered.

I was there for 5 years and my wife's family still own's and rents a house to students. Awesome school.

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome czins, Nachaug SF is all around in Ashford, Eastford, Union, Willington, etc. Only a short drive from Storrs. Plenty of deer there. Also a few of ponds for waterfowl.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

CTHS Supporter
    Images
    welcome to the site czins95 once you get settled in on campus let me know via pm i actually work there, if you want to hunt some birds either waterfowl or pheasant even turkey next spring. there is an archery club and they practice pretty regularly at the hicks arena and i think they have a shooting team also. there are some good spots close by to hunt and fish as toomany posted. if you need a spot to store your gear i might be able to help you out there also i live within about 15min of campus. good luck up there

Images
    I just graduated from Uconn, and spent a bit of time there on and off. I tried farms all over the town and coventry and never managed to get permission. Most had a group of hunters and said they weren't taking any new ones because most had kids who were starting to hunt. Bow hunting mansfield hollow was easiest for me, and I saw a good amount of deer, tankerhosen is also decently close. I lived off campus so never had to deal with the gun issue but I'd caution you about the shooting club. I looked into it years ago and was not feeling it. The archery club I've seen shoot a lot and were always practicing by hicks arena. You can also get a non-lottery tag for shotgun and hunt areas of natchaug, just be prepared to scout hard. I'd recommend using a climber.

Make sure you purchase your ammo in Mass so you don't need to purchase the ammo certificate. If you see a bow course close try just showing up. You can also try shooting passingthru a PM he is local and teaches the bow course (i took mine with him) he might be able to tell you when his next one is, or call down to center sports, halls, or andover archery
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by czins95 View Post
    Hello!

I'm Chris. I'm a Massachusetts native whose heading to the University of Connecticut Storrs this fall. I've been hunting for a few years now and really would like to continue to do something during my time in college, whether it just be trap shooting or coyote hunting.

I tried to get into a bow hunter safety class but I didn't make the cut so it looks like I will be gun hunting instead. I'm familiar with turkey hunting and deer but I'd like to explore more options like waterfowl or coyote hunting. Does anyone know the Storrs/Mansfield/Willimantic? Any input or help would be awesome!

Thanks!
    Welcome aboard. You can take the Mass course if you can get in. Connecticut will accept it.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Welcome

As Mtn_Infantry says - use caution - I believe UCONN has a strict no firearms on campus policy (regardless of permit status)

again - Welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Horizontal Hunter View Post
    Welcome aboard. You can take the Mass course if you can get in. Connecticut will accept it.

Bob
    I actually took the course in Rhode Island when I was at UConn because I couldnt get into any in CT, so thats another option.