Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vermont Moose hunting/Lottery

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images

Vermont Moose hunting/Lottery

I am thinking about applying for the moose hunt lottery in Vermont. Does anyone have any experience with the lottery and moose hunting in Vermont? I would be happy to hear any thoughts and suggestions you might have.

Thanks,

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    I have a place up there and applied for years then finally got drawn. I applied to hunt the area where my camp is and hunted it for a solid week with a few moose sightings but no shot opportunities. I'm in the center of the state and the moose hunting is not so good there. Up in the north east corner the chances of filling a tag are much better, lots of moose up there. Chances of getting drawn as a non resident are very slim, but worth giving it a try.

Images
    Thanks for the info Griz..

Bob

I have done it a couple of times. A couple years ago it was very hot which made a terrible hunt. The moose numbers are way down up in the northeast kingdom. I would highly recommend a guide. The ticks are killing the moose.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by recurvehunter79 View Post
    I have done it a couple of times. A couple years ago it was very hot which made a terrible hunt. The moose numbers are way down up in the northeast kingdom. I would highly recommend a guide. The ticks are killing the moose.
    Thanks for the info. Pulling a permit for a non-resident looks to be pretty tough given the numbers. Last year they issued 355 permits for both seasons and only 10% are allotted for non-residents.

Bob

Images
    Just like any lottery winning is like getting hit by lighting slim to non chance .
    I used to play the maine moose lottery i finally gave up after ten years ,i know three guys who got lucky one is a member here.
    I heard new Hampshire you stand a better chance of winning maybe i should try it lol ya right why waste my time and money .
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn

I would recommend putting in, my first vt hunt was incredible and changed my life, it was so much fun. You need to be prepared for a huge time commitment and financial investment. Plus you need to spend a ton of time scouting which is tough when it is 5 hours plus away. If you shoot one you likely will need a horse to drag it and then deal with the meat, so preperation on the logistics are key.on thing I liked most was the hunting culture in vt, they had signs for welcome moose hunters.

Dragging up an older thread.
    What have you guys spent on guides in VT for moose? I want to start entering the lotteries but I want to make sure it's something I could even afford first.

Images
    I was just drawn for the NR tag for Archery.
    I have had a few guides call me and they range from $1500 to $3500.

Where I am hunting you cant use motorized vehicles, we used a horse to drag it out whole. ($150).

Images
    Be prepared to wait awhile if you're putting in for bull tags. Your best and cheapest option is probably a NF moose hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When your time comes to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death, so that when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home