Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Connecticut! Turkey and Deer Hunting.

Banned
    Images

welcome to the site

I hear you !!! I grew up in taylorsville Mississippi and now live in goooood old ct. What part of miss did u live ?

Team Up

Quote Originally Posted by ctrider View Post
    Welcome! I'm in Vernon and grew up in Ellington (one town over). Dragged my bride up from Nashville. There are pockets here and there but the good stuff is further out of town.

I'll be looking for turkey really for the first time this spring - maybe we can team up.

Spring turkey shotgun and bow overlap but I believe you have to purchase both licenses.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We should for sure team up!!! I've killed a world of turkeys between Mississippi and my dads turkey lease in Texas!!!

Sounds like a plan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 Point
    Images
    welcome to the site, the eastern turkey is a tuff bird to fool. Not the same turkey thats in texas (not sure about miss) The birds here will try your patience, and make fools out of all of us, myself included.

Quote Originally Posted by brute750 View Post
    welcome to the site, the eastern turkey is a tuff bird to fool. Not the same turkey thats in texas (not sure about miss) The birds here will try your patience, and make fools out of all of us, myself included.
    You're 100% correct. If a man can hunt and kill an eastern he can kill anything. We have easterns in Mississippi as well. They are very call shy b/c they are so heavily hunted. Everyone in Mississippi hunts and we have a lot of problems with poachers. Especially during turkey season. The Rio Grande turkeys in Texas can be very easy to kill. I remember the first time I went out there with my dad and his buddies. My dads friend said "go check out Clint's horses" (Clint is the landowner). When I went to look in the horse pen there were 7 gobblers just feeding all around the horses, and they wouldn't even run. I easily killed the 4 bird limit in a few days. The main two roost trees on the Texas lease usually have about 100 birds pitch down and 35+ will generally be gobblers. It's amazing!!! The lease isn't what it used to be though. There are still a good bit of birds, but the oil and natural gas rigs are being set up everywhere, and the turkeys are moving on to other areas.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post
    You're 100% correct. If a man can hunt and kill an eastern he can kill anything. We have easterns in Mississippi as well. They are very call shy b/c they are so heavily hunted. Everyone in Mississippi hunts and we have a lot of problems with poachers. Especially during turkey season. The Rio Grande turkeys in Texas can be very easy to kill. I remember the first time I went out there with my dad and his buddies. My dads friend said "go check out Clint's horses" (Clint is the landowner). When I went to look in the horse pen there were 7 gobblers just feeding all around the horses, and they wouldn't even run. I easily killed the 4 bird limit in a few days. The main two roost trees on the Texas lease usually have about 100 birds pitch down and 35+ will generally be gobblers. It's amazing!!! The lease isn't what it used to be though. There are still a good bit of birds, but the oil and natural gas rigs are being set up everywhere, and the turkeys are moving on to other areas.

Been watching this primos turkey hunting video for the past couple nights, gettn me all amped up, theyre hunting in TX also, I would love to do some hunting out that way. sounds freakin awesome....Id be buying a plane ticket come spring! LOL / that sux about the natural gas thing, another unseen problem w the industry.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEastofriver View Post
    Been watching this primos turkey hunting video for the past couple nights, gettn me all amped up, theyre hunting in TX also, I would love to do some hunting out that way. sounds freakin awesome....Id be buying a plane ticket come spring! LOL / that sux about the natural gas thing, another unseen problem w the industry.
    I bought the Primos and H.S. Strut turkey hunting dvd's the other day... Both are great!!!

Images
    Between all the guys that responded to this thread we should have a pretty good number of people on the ground, we should form a turkey coalition with all the guys in our area to keep track of where the birds are and what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by JOEastofriver View Post
    Between all the guys that responded to this thread we should have a pretty good number of people on the ground, we should form a turkey coalition with all the guys in our area to keep track of where the birds are and what they're doing.
    Sounds good to me!!! They are all in Manchester 1/2 a mile down the road from L.A. Fitness in an agricultural field!!! Man I wish I knew who owned that place!!!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bishopreid83 View Post
    Sounds good to me!!! They are all in Manchester 1/2 a mile down the road from L.A. Fitness in an agricultural field!!! Man I wish I knew who owned that place!!!
    I know that field, counted 30 of them in there about 20 ft off the rd last winter. about ten years ago when none of those shops were there it was even crazier....theres a little farm building on the opposite side of the street w some fields that go up into the back, ive seen the same flock over there too