Thread: Norwich Area

Norwich Area

Any hunters in the Norwich area want to take me out and give me some pointers on how to find a good area to hunt? I'm a newbie with little to no experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator/CTHS Supporter Space Invaders Champion, Breakout Champion, Turbocharged Penguins! Champion StoneCrusher's Avatar
    Images
    We have had lots of new-members/people ask for pointers on ~good~ hunting areas. no one is going to give up there favorite hunting spot. since youu are in Norwich, try getting permission from someone near Mohegan Park, and/or look at DEEP website for the local hunting areas. One near you is Bear Hill (which is the rd I was born on). Give that location a shot, i see deer there when going to the Boy Scout res. or short-cutting my way over to the Norwich Walmart..

Time

Don't let not having a perfect place to hunt stop you from just getting out there. Just make sure you can consistently hit your target know your kill range and make sure your all legal. Get out there and look for some signs of scat ,tracks etc.

As a new bow hunter this year i can tell you everyday I spend out in the woods I learn more and become a better hunter. State land is larger than you think if your in pretty good shape you should go were others can't or are just to lazy to get to. Thousands of acres out there and most people only hunt the outer edges.

Get in there sniff around and get your boots dirty!!!!

Good luck.
    " I will sit still when I'm dead"... ("Even then no guarantees")

Yes I hunt bear hill now...I don't want anyone's spot just some pointers on what to look for ect...

Thanks oddshot that's the kind of advice I'm looking for

They logged out a ton of land at bear hill stonecrusher. I heard they are closing tadma too. That stinks

Quote Originally Posted by Jaylazy8 View Post
    They logged out a ton of land at bear hill stonecrusher. I heard they are closing tadma too. That stinks

Logged areas seem to get better after a year or so due to the tender under brush filling in adding cover and fresh food supply. If there was a logged clearing in an area I was not familiar with I would pick the farthest corner from a road or trail and set up.
    " I will sit still when I'm dead"... ("Even then no guarantees")

Super Moderator Deadeye Logun S16 Champion, Backyard Shootout Champion TooManyHobbies's Avatar
    Images
    What to look for:
    Scat - can be pellets or formed feces, or even diarrhea type. Depends what they're eating. Don't be afraid to touch it. Is it wet, warm, dry, moldy, black (new) or brown (old). If both new and old, they use the trail alot.
    Rubs - Saplings that have been mauled by antlers, from 1/2" trees right up to 8" or so. About 2' off the ground.
    Scrapes - Garbage lid size bare spot on the ground, usually under an overhanging bough. Look for tracks in the circle and debris thrown to the outer edge.
    Tracks - Larger the track, larger the deer. Split hooves coming to a point.
    Food sources - Acorns (from oak trees, whites preferred), beech nuts,
    grapes, corn, apples, green grass and clover, landscaping plants if your hunting suburban areas. The list goes on, they have quite an appetite and assortment of foods. (If you kill one, open up the stomach after it's out of the deer to see what they've been eating.)
    Bedding areas - Don't be afraid to go right into the thickest stuff you can find and see if you can push out an animal or two. Once you determine it's a bedding area, stay out of it.
    Trails - Will vary from being beat down like a cow path to very subtle, can be full of tracks, droppings, rubs and scrapes, or barely any evidence at all.

Hope this helps.
    NOBODY EVER SHOT BAMBI....they shot his momma.

Images
    Every animal needs food and shelter/cover and to reproduce to survive. You need ot take advantages of these needs by learning what available foods are in your area at any given time, what available cover or protection is available and then figure out how deer get from point a to point b. Where do they go when the weather is bad and good. What do they do when pressured. What happens when they get the urge to reproduce. Also learn what other hunters, bikers, walkers, horse riders, etc are doing as well and learn to use them to your advantage.

There are TONS of information online, but like anything else you have to take what you read and hear and fit it in to what you are learning. Be patient and don't get discouraged. Lots of good information already given above. Get out and don't be afraid to make a mistake.

http://www.deerhunter.com/pages/deer...whitetail-deer
    Visit my BLOG at: www.passinthruoutdoors.blogspot.com

check out some of my videos at: http://www.youtube.com/user/passinthru63

You guys are awesome thank you so much for all the great info!!