Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel hunt ct

Forkhorn
    Tree rat blastin is one of my favorite passtimes! The big fat grey squirrel around here come in 2 variety. First type is bold and stupid. These are the type that know you can't shoot them so they rub it in your face and then go get hit by a car. Second type is skittish and stupid. They will hide if they hear or see you, but are always curious to even a pathetic attempt at a call....and after you shoot one will come back out 5 min later to see if anything has changed haha Be prepared to possibly pump another round in 1 though. they are pretty tenacious and probably have a bit of zombie in them hehe. Shot one last year and it fell 15 yards...hit the ground, broke a leg...and darted right back up the friggin tree! I made sure that one went on the grill instead of the stew pot as a show of respect.

best advice? there is none. fun and easy game. either walk around and pop them as you see them or sit below a tree with a bunch and take your time cause they will keep coming back. And yup, they are mighty delicious!

Images
    I used to go all the time when I was younger, in fact first animal I ever harvested was a squirrel. My dad made me go squirrel hunting and shoot one and make sure I'd eat it before he was willing to take me deer hunting. CT Marine and I are already planning linking up at Uconn and going out, since we are both up here. I like to use my .22/20 gauge over under get the best of both worlds, or if I'm bored/camping sometimes I'll bring my old rossi .22/410 take-down that I sometimes take when camping on a friends large farm during the season. It's a little small (youth model) but will do the trick in a pinch.

I have never squirel hunted but i'm gonna do it this season.
    Advice I need in cooking them...

In making a squirel stew, i would imagine I would just replace the venison, or beef with squirel meat correct?
    How much meat can I expect to get from a squirel? Will I need to shoot 1 or 2 squirels to get a pound of meat?
    And lastly, do you need to soak the squirel's in anything and for how long.

I would figure one squirrel per person you are feeding... they are about half the size of a rabbit, maybe a little less. As for cooking I stew them, Just replace the meat in your favorite stew recipe with the furry tree critters and enjoy!

Forkhorn
    Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    I have never squirel hunted but i'm gonna do it this season.
    Advice I need in cooking them...

In making a squirel stew, i would imagine I would just replace the venison, or beef with squirel meat correct?
    How much meat can I expect to get from a squirel? Will I need to shoot 1 or 2 squirels to get a pound of meat?
    And lastly, do you need to soak the squirel's in anything and for how long.

I like cooking them the same way I do a pheasant stew. Water, carrots, celery, corn, garlic, salt and pepper. Add a can a cream of mushroom and serve it over mashed potatoes.

"Possum"
    Admin & Gun Nut
    Images
    Squirrel is good eats. I like'em gutted/skinned and then slow cooked over a fire, seasoned with salt, garlic, and a few other spices. Granted, I come from a Texan family and I was born in Jefferson Parish, LA, so maybe it's genetic! LOL
    Official CTHS Admin & Tech

- Too Many Guns To List
    - Bowflex Carbon Knight @ 70# - Martin Onza III @ 65# - Redhead Kronik XT @ 70#
    - Excalibur Matrix 330 - Darton Terminator (crossbows)
    - Sport Fishing Forums - Fish On
    -
    Crossbow Predators Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Possum View Post
    Squirrel is good eats. I like'em gutted/skinned and then slow cooked over a fire, seasoned with salt, garlic, and a few other spices. Granted, I come from a Texan family and I was born in Jefferson Parish, LA, so maybe it's genetic! LOL
    LOL Possum... where does my love of squirrel come from? I am from a suburban Jewish family who is very anti hunting/guns...

I didn't even know there was a specific squirrel season, but I'd like to start so I can practice with the new 10-22 takedown.

Forkhorn
    T minus 4 days baby! Cant wait till Saturday!! Loaded up on .17 and .22 today in preparation for some tree rat blastin'.

10 Point Yeti Sports 2 - Orca Slap Champion, Selvamani Beer Bar Champion btr22man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CTMarine View Post
    T minus 4 days baby! Cant wait till Saturday!! Loaded up on .17 and .22 today in preparation for some tree rat blastin'.
    Haha someone is pumped! Can't blame ya though, I'm really looking forward to saturday as well. Should be able to hold me over till the 15th