Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrel hunt ct

Images

Talking Squirrel hunt ct

This'll be my first season squirrel hunting in CT. Back home (Louisiana) we mostly hunted fox squirrels because they were bigger and a little slower than the jet-heads(ct squirrels/gray squirrels). But I've noticed that these gray squirrels in CT are fat!
    Ive also noticed when I tell people up here that I can't wait to go squirrel hunting they look at me like I'm some gross Louisiana redneck from another planet speaking a foreign language. Makes me think people up here don't do a lot of squirrel hunting.
    any tips or suggestions to help me have a successful hunt will be greatful. Thank you

Last edited by Spotted Crow; 07-24-2012 at 06:15 PM.

there are a few guys on here who do! I have not yet, but there are a ton where I hunt. One day I will get past it and eat one! Everyone says they are good. Maybe the next meet and greet some one will make some!
    " Bowtech RPM 360 70#, Bowtech Invasion 60# Carbon Express Red, Carbon Express Maxima Hunter, Carbon Express F15, GrimReaper SS, Rage Hyperdermic"

Welcome to Connecticut, Cajun -- I've heard the nutria hunting is great in your old state!

I am getting into squirrel hunting this year for the first time, just bought a .22 and a 410 for the job, my first guns. Started scouting last weekend in fact.
    Would definitely be interested in comparing notes sometime -- let me know if you're in the western part of the state at all, I'm in Danbury.

CTHS Supportor Horizontal Hunter's Avatar
    Images
    Welcome aboard Cajun.
    I used to hunt them when I was younger and I also used to spend a lot more time chaising partridge and pheasant in Mass. That was until I started hunting the early archery season in Connecticut. Now all I pretty much chase is deer.
    There are not a lot of people that hunt squirrels around here which is great for you as there will be many more fat targets of opportunity for you.

Bob
    Vegetarian: vejiˈte(ə)rēən/noun: old Indian word for lousy hunter.
    Excalibur Exocet, GT Laser II, 2" Bhoning Blazers 125g NAP Spitfire

Images
    Welcome to the site! I went out squirrel hunting for my first time last year I gotta tell you it was a blast with my .22 only shot 1 cause I wasn't sure if I would be able to eat more than that but they where right it tastes like chicken! I'll deffinately be goin out in early September this year.
    The Difference is the Quality!
    www.StraightFromMaineSeafood.com (860) 585-7000
    SFMS Facebook Page

Welcome to CT. I wish you all the best. I don't hunt squirrels any more but some of my best times hunting were spent chasing tree rats. For the first few weeks of the season you will have the woods all to yourself. After that the stick throwing monkeys (aka the bow hunters who hang out in trees) will be there.

It should be a good year for squirrel. I starting checking out the mast in the forests near my home and it look like there will be plenty of acorns.

Images
    Thanks for the edit. Wasn't sure if that was okay. Now I'm informed.

The rest of you... Thank you very much and I will be on pest control come squirrel season. My wife says she won't try them. But I talked her into trying frog legs and now she loves them. She's from Winsted. We currently live in Barkhamsted. She will be eating some squirrel. Guaranteed.

You guys ever had an annoying squirrel bark at you while you're in a deer stand? I have. It's the most annoying thing in the world. Sometimes I think deer can speak the squirrel language because when that happens usually you can just forget about killing a deer.

Squirrel and deer. Those are my game. An occasional turkey. Not to good at processing birds. And I only like fried turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Spotted Crow View Post
    there are a few guys on here who do! I have not yet, but there are a ton where I hunt. One day I will get past it and eat one! Everyone says they are good. Maybe the next meet and greet some one will make some!

Hey, I LOVE Squirrel hunting! plenty of squirrels to be hunted around here. I am relatively local to you and would be willing to met up and do some hunting. i like Nepaug Forest which is not far from you. PM me if you want to get together this season!

Spikehorn
    Images

Im squirrel hunting this year

I plan on hunting squirrel this year myself I know a few people that eat squirrel and they begged me to snag a few for them so I am going to try it when they finish cooking them for me.

I like 'em too, especially in a stew!
    004.JPG002.JPG001.JPG

That one died happy..... still carrying a nut in his mouth.