Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 10 acre minimum for Shotgun Hunting

CT SwampHunter

Unhappy 10 acre minimum for Shotgun Hunting

I know you need a minimum of 10 acres to hunt with a rifle but my question is,

Is it the same for a shotgun or is it less?

smokepole

Re: 10 acre minimum for Shotgun Hunting

This is off the CT hunting Regulations.

Private Land Permission

All hunters are required to have permission from the landowner when hunting on private lands. Verbal permission for the hunting of species other than deer and turkey is sufficient.

* Deer Hunters and Turkey Hunters - must have the written permission of the landowner for the current season on official DEP forms (PDF 41k). Copies of the form do not have to be sent to DEP, but must be carried while hunting. Old forms, still available at some town clerks and DEP offices, or a photocopy of the official form found in this guide must be used. The form must be dated for the current season, indicate the weapon types authorized by the landowner, and have the landowner's original signature. A landowner must have a minimum of 10 acres to authorize the use of a rifle for deer hunting. There is no minimum acreage requirement for using a shotgun or a muzzleloader.

The land owner can write you a note giving permision to hunt closer than 500 feet .If any adjoining houses are with in 500 feet you need to get permission from them as well.

CT SwampHunter

Quote Originally Posted by smokepole
    This is off the CT hunting Regulations.

Private Land Permission

All hunters are required to have permission from the landowner when hunting on private lands. Verbal permission for the hunting of species other than deer and turkey is sufficient.

* Deer Hunters and Turkey Hunters - must have the written permission of the landowner for the current season on official DEP forms (PDF 41k). Copies of the form do not have to be sent to DEP, but must be carried while hunting. Old forms, still available at some town clerks and DEP offices, or a photocopy of the official form found in this guide must be used. The form must be dated for the current season, indicate the weapon types authorized by the landowner, and have the landowner's original signature. A landowner must have a minimum of 10 acres to authorize the use of a rifle for deer hunting. There is no minimum acreage requirement for using a shotgun or a muzzleloader.
    Thanks a bunch for the information, that helps a lot. :rock: Andy you were right. :winkle:

The 10 acre rule only applies to centerfire rifle. Shotguns and muzzleloaders are 500 feet from a building unless you have written permission from the property owner to be closer. There is no acreage or distance requirement for archery.

CT SwampHunter

Quote Originally Posted by EnCon Police
    The 10 acre rule only applies to centerfire rifle. Shotguns and muzzleloaders are 500 feet from a building unless you have written permission from the property owner to be closer. There is no acreage or distance requirement for archery.
    Thank you very much for the information............ :winkle:

Cal45

That sums it up to a tee.

Thats why I shoot deer in my back yard with the bow.I'm too close to the neighbors for shotgun.But as I mentioned before that my brother has permission to hunt closer than 500 feet from a house. He sits on the porch and drinks coffee with the owner. :esup:

CT SwampHunter

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckA
    Thats why I shoot deer in my back yard with the bow.I'm too close to the neighbors for shotgun.But as I mentioned before that my brother has permission to hunt closer than 500 feet from a house. He sits on the porch and drinks coffee with the owner. :esup:
    Sounds like my kind of neighbor. :lol:

Images

I have been watching three does every evening eating on the back 4 last night only one showed up i watched it for an hour before i got to see its head gear :esup: :esup:
    A massive body and a large pile of bone on its head i hope he sticks around untill sept 15th
    Shoot a Coyote save a Fawn